Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
The Canadian Snowbra
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the summer comes along, I'm pulling the H/E off the car just to clean it up, but I'm also considering stripping the black paint off it. I'm assuming it's aluminum and wont corrode if exposed to the elements (in the winter as well, with road salt). I know that most after market heat exchangers have no paint (other than maybe a stencil) and they seem to hold up just fine.
It will look much better stripped in my opinion, and should transfer heat somewhat more effectively without that black paint on it.

I would likely plug the holes, and stick it in a deep pan full of paint thinner. After it soaked for a few days, I'd remove it, and pressure wash the remainder (and no, I won't bend all the fins when I hit it with the pressure washer).

If you think it's a wackjob idea, let me know. If you think it's a good idea, let me know why.

If you're going to follow this thread, to see how many different ways this could end in my H/E being annihilated, welcome aboard.

·
The Canadian Snowbra
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol, wellll, that would give me a head start on it, but it would need to be cheap....? How much?:dunno2:

·
The Canadian Snowbra
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pm'd you.

Anyone done this?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts