Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gone through a number of threads on this topic but cannot find the answer I need. I have a 4.6l 3V out of a 2008 Mustang. I am using the factory wiring harness and PCM. I have hooked up a return style fuel system and it is putting out good pressure. I have wired the 66 start switch direct to the starter solenoid and it turns over strong but will not fire. I suspect that I need to disable the PATS after having gone through these other posts.

I don't really want to spend $400 on a tuner that I will use once. What other options are there? Can I remove the PCM and hand deliver it to a shop to have the programming done? I do not have the OBD2 plug either, BTW, so plugging in a scan tool is not an option.

What exactly does the PATS disable? Does it stop the injectors and the spark plugs?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_1825.jpg

·
Registered
237 Posts
The pats on my 98 cobra killed the fuel pump, injectors, and spark. Im sure yours does the same. If your building fuel pressure, I doubt its your pats. But then again, your not running the factory fuel setup. Maybe someone else will chime in for your year model car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The pats on my 98 cobra killed the fuel pump, injectors, and spark. Im sure yours does the same. If your building fuel pressure, I doubt its your pats. But then again, your not running the factory fuel setup. Maybe someone else will chime in for your year model car.
My fuel pump and starter do not use the factory wiring so, unfortunately, that is not an indication that the PATS is not stopping the PCM. I got the original key and PATS transceiver out of the Mustang. Can I just wire the transceiver (2 signal wires, ground and hot) and put the key nearby? Would that satisfy the PCM? How will I know that the PATS is not disabling the PCM?

·
Registered
323 Posts
My fuel pump and starter do not use the factory wiring so, unfortunately, that is not an indication that the PATS is not stopping the PCM. I got the original key and PATS transceiver out of the Mustang. Can I just wire the transceiver (2 signal wires, ground and hot) and put the key nearby? Would that satisfy the PCM? How will I know that the PATS is not disabling the PCM?
In theory that should work. Now having said that the pats system is probably killing your spark. The very best thing you can do is get it disabled thru tune. I have gone to war with pats a couple of times and each time its like a new adventure.

A320PYLT

·
Registered
237 Posts
Its my understanding that the key has to be inside the transciever and the ignition on. Of course the transciever wraps around the ignition. Its next to impossible to trick the pats. When my pats started acting up I tried everything. Finally just turned it off in the tune.

·
Registered
237 Posts
You could put a voltmeter across a coil while trying to crank the car. If ya got voltage is cycling with the firing order, then the pats is good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great feedback. I now have the original transceiver and key wired up to the system and still no luck. Is there a way to measure a voltage somewhere to know if the PATS is allowing a start?

The tuners I have talked to say that they can only tune this PCM in the car using the OBDII connection. I don't have that hooked up and the car is not ambulatory so this option doesn't look good. I would sure like to find someone who would travel to my house to program it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi,

Not sure what tuners you've been spoken to for assistance. I'm currently underway with a Coyote swap into a 1970 Ford Falcon over here in Australia. I looked like have the same issues until I was fortunate enough to be put in contact with Jake Long from Power By the Hour Performance. He has been able to find a work around to enable me to run my Coyote and 6R80 auto using the factory Copperhead ECU.

I would recommend that you contact him he might be able to help you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I will give him a call. I managed to get it started yesterday. I found the pins in the Bussed Electrical Center that power the fuel pump relay and the PCM and just wired them directly from the start switch. It fired right up. The PATS apparently does not allow the relays to close for these functions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
IMG_1905-1.jpg Thanks. Since then, I have discovered that I do have to have the original key and transceiver wired in. I only have to have 4 wires hooked up- the hot, ground, and two signal wires going to the PCM. The transponder does not prevent the car from starting. You can see the key and transceiver sitting atop the battery.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts