Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the season is over and my '97 T-Bird is stored for the winter, I wanted to post an update on performance upgrades I made in the last two years. The car has an aluminum block big bore with NPI heads and an SVO supercharger. The motor and trans came back out and the following changes were made during 2010/11:
  • New NPI heads with better exhaust port flow
  • Custom grind Bullet cams with less duration but higher lift than the previous Comp XE274s
  • Blower ported by Steigemeier
  • 8-rib belt & pullies replacing 6-rib
  • Progressive controller added to the AIS water/meth injection system
  • Transmission rebuilt
  • Torque converter restalled from 3500 rpm to 3000 rpm
  • RWHP increased from 357 to 375, with about 20 HP gain across the rpm range
  • RWTQ increased from 399 to 416, with about 20 lb-ft gain across the range
  • New personal best ET and speed achieved: 11.959 at 117 MPH

· Registered
571 Posts
Wow, nice mods! I was just curious as to your re-stall from 3500 to 3000. WHat made you want to lower the stall, and did it help with your HP/TQ across the powerband?
-thanks

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mercenvy,

I had the re-stall done because the car wasn't as responsive as I wanted on the street at part throttle. It was plenty responsive on the track at full throttle, of course. But, this is primarily a street car that goes to test 'n tune nights occasionally, not a race car. And it is really responsive on the street now! Actually a little difficult to accelerate quickly without wheelspin on street tires. A downside is that the car doesn't 60' as well as it did with the higher stall speed. If I had it to do over again I might not drop the stall as far. But it is a big job to remove and replace the TC, so I'll likely live with this for awhile.

The old and new torque and HP numbers are all with the TC locked.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! There is more left in this combination. If I can get the car to 60' better, it should run an 11.8 at maybe 118 mph. Going to shorter drag radials has been suggested, and I may try that next season. Am also considering adding a switch-chip and a race gas tune for track use only. I've run MS109 a few times before and the car really liked it.

Nice looking T-Bird, by the way. What wheels are those, and what size(s)?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.