Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the best piston rings for a heavy boosted 5.4 that will be used on street 95% of the time?

After Carrillo billet rods, and CP pistons, I don't want to run just any piston rings.

What do you think of these? "Hell fire rings"

Tech from website:

HELLFIRE RINGS

Far Superior to Tool Steel Rings!
More Power!
Higher Crankcase Vacuum!
Greater Durability!
Easier On Cylinder Walls!
Better Oil Control!

Speed-Pro's "Hellfire" series piston rings are the ultimate ring design for use under extreme racing conditions. The product of extensive research and development, our unique new HF479 material and ni-chrome plasma facings have been proven to deliver unmatched power, durability and sealing. Hellfire rings have been tested and proven in NHRA Pro-Stock, and in NMCA "Fastest Street Car" competition. Over the last year of testing, these rings have become the most talked about "speed secret" among professional race engine builders. The HF479 ring material retains tension despite intense cylinder pressure and heat. It is easy on cylinder walls and pistons and is still able to survive with mega-doses of nitrous oxide. Ni-chrome plasma is the latest innovation in piston ring face coatings. Another Speed-Pro exclusive, this ultra-durable material delivers superior scuff and wear resistance, and outstanding resistance to flaking due to its amazingly strong bond to the base ring material. Speed-Pro competition series piston rings combine metallurgical superiority, race proven design profiles with the machining excellence which made Speed-Pro the undisputed leader in cylinder sealing technology. When compared to steel piston rings, Hellfire rings deliver higher crankcase vacuum, greater high RPM power and improved oil control.

Suggestions?:confused:

Chris

·
Registered
661 Posts
Chris do some more research, they sound ok But I don't know .
I use ch molly, and lower the ring land in the piston, maby ask Kunts and co. or Keath kraft.
B & B pref, they are in Carteret NJ- Bob .

·
Registered
207 Posts
Chris, those hell fire rings are generally used in Nitrous motors where the cylinder temps are very very hot....Not sure how well they hold up under boosted conditions, but I'm sure they would do well...

Something I've learned from using Plasma moly rings...If the car gets too lean or too much boost, and the cylinder pressure is too great, the moly tends to flake off and score the cycl walls as well as get into the bearings and trash them...That moly doesn't seem to hold up too well under high hp situations.....Total Seal makes a gapless ring that would work better , in my opinion....

Also, if you go with a "street" motor, make sure you go with a 1.5, 1.5 , 3mm ring package...The smaller 1.2 top ring and the 2.8mm bottom ring are more for all out race motors as they reduce friction, but also need some type of vacuum pump to keep the oil level in the cylinders at a steady level...

Jeff

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, and keep suggestions coming. I have all the “hard” parts, but little things like bearings, rings, and bolts are giving me a headache. I have tried to find the best possible items, but “best” is subject to opinion.

·
Registered
72 Posts
BlackCobra99Va said:
Chris, those hell fire rings are generally used in Nitrous motors where the cylinder temps are very very hot....Not sure how well they hold up under boosted conditions, but I'm sure they would do well...

Something I've learned from using Plasma moly rings...If the car gets too lean or too much boost, and the cylinder pressure is too great, the moly tends to flake off and score the cycl walls as well as get into the bearings and trash them...That moly doesn't seem to hold up too well under high hp situations.....Total Seal makes a gapless ring that would work better , in my opinion....

Also, if you go with a "street" motor, make sure you go with a 1.5, 1.5 , 3mm ring package...The smaller 1.2 top ring and the 2.8mm bottom ring are more for all out race motors as they reduce friction, but also need some type of vacuum pump to keep the oil level in the cylinders at a steady level... Jeff
I am using the PM rings and will not use again. The Total Seal gapless rings seem like the way to go.

Good luck with your project!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Reviving an ancient thread again...

Does anyone know where I can buy those Hellfire rings? Has anyone used them yet? I'm looking at using those or Total Seals...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts