Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know what the intake and exaust flow is on stock pi heads ? thanx.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i actually found out that @.550 the 96 heads out flow p.i. heads it's from .1 up to .450 the pi heads are stronger..... so shouldn't the old heads have a better peak # (hp) and less average i don't understand can some one explain this please.

www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/0302MMFF_MixMatch/

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh yeah scroll after you click the link and there are charts.

·
Registered
205 Posts
96stang46 said:
i actually found out that @.550 the 96 heads out flow p.i. heads it's from .1 up to .450 the pi heads are stronger..... so shouldn't the old heads have a better peak # (hp) and less average i don't understand can some one explain this please.
Sure... The valve spends twice as much time at any given point between open and close as it does AT open or close. To put it another way... Pick any point between open (.550) and close (.000), let's say .250. The valve hits the .250 mark in its travel from fully closed to fully open, then again in its travel from fully open to closed. This is why it's important to achieve strong and even flow characteristics across the entire range of valve travel.

Oh yeah, peak numbers don't necessarily mean diddly-squat other than something to measure your d*ck with. What really counts is the usable powerband.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i understand that peak #'s don't mean shit but 215 vs 260 and the head actually flows more @ .550

·
Registered
227 Posts
sometimes its not the amount of air thats flowed, but the velocity its flowed at. thats the difference between say...a 65mm TB vs a 75mm TB. the non PI heads might flow more @ peak, but the PI flow with more velocity which helps power production.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i see said the blind man..... to the def one

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Black01GT said:
sometimes its not the amount of air thats flowed, but the velocity its flowed at. thats the difference between say...a 65mm TB vs a 75mm TB. the non PI heads might flow more @ peak, but the PI flow with more velocity which helps power production.
Thankyou....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts