Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone get piston slap when first starting up thier engines?it didnt do it in the summertime but i notice now for the first few minutes when i start it up in the morning it sounds like a tap tap tap until it warms up then all is fine.... any info would be greatly appreciated !!

Frank
:confused:

G

·
What do you think this is a new GM 5.3 motor or even 5.7 LS1 motor or something? :) My 03 Cobra and my Dad's 03 Cobra do not have that at all..either does Nitrous Pete's 03....but just start up my Mom's brand new Chevy Tahoe or my little brother's brand new Chevy 5.3 Pickup and all you here is that slap slap slap....sounds like a diesel.

Are you sure its piston slap on your 03 Cobra?

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Are you sure you are not hearing the infamous Tick??
Some cars Cold Tick,,mine did Tick when Cold,,Then after 4000miles it stopped,,Some that didn't cold tick when new now tick when warmed up,

jim v.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tick

Well its coming from the passenger side and it kinda sounds like a tic but more of a knock sound runs great though it just knocks at startup the car never did it before or i just noticed it now .I wonder whats causing it?

frank
:eek:

·
Registered
12 Posts
slap fix

I replaced the Fram filter with the correct Motorcraft filter and the sounds ceased. The owner's manual states this fact and it is not just to sell Ford filters. There was a thread about this on SVT performance months ago. It has somehting to do with the bypass flow (I think).

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Re: slap fix

BLACK SUNSHINE said:
I replaced the Fram filter with the correct Motorcraft filter and the sounds ceased. The owner's manual states this fact and it is not just to sell Ford filters. There was a thread about this on SVT performance months ago. It has somehting to do with the bypass flow (I think).
It's the anti-drain back valve. Keeps the oil from draining down to the pan. Ford's filter has a nice silicone one.. thats the S in 820S

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
slap....slap....slap.....oh my....

I also use motorcraft filters...I wonder how many cobras have this issue,i Talked to a svt rep and he said this is normal,although the sound will vary from car to car?something bout the forged internals..oh well its still under warrenty if it throws a rod ...I wanted to do the pully and chip but i am unsure now i wonder if anyone in here has done it with the slap sound and if everythings holding up well????

Frank

1 - 10 of 10 Posts