Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:jawdrop Has anybody heard of the plastic maifold on the 96GT failing? Two people have told me that it will fail without warning. Carfax has no recalls for my car. The one guy I know says there is a recall for it. I am going to be driving this car from Virginia to Cali and I am wondering if I should be concerned......

·
Registered
59 Posts
If your car has more than 30k miles (which I'm assuming it does) the intake has already failed and been replaced. All of the 96-97 GT's did this around 30k miles, and Ford automatically replaced the intakes. Once it has been replaced it won't fail again. You have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
227 Posts
i went to the track with a dude i work with. he has a 98 GT with just an O/R h pipe and catback. he made 2 passes then we decided to pull his intake silencer (i know). his intake had a crack in it. he talked to Ford and they said there was a recall/fix on the intakes, but his didnt apply to it (i guess the VIN had something to do with that). thats my story. the end

·
Registered
36 Posts
as long as you have the aluminum housing on the intake you are good to go. If the whole thing is still the plastic black then it hasn't been changed out.....and there is a recall for yours.....just go to alldata.com and you will see it up there. Oh and by the way I have no idea where the other guy got the 30k mile idea because I just replaced mine after 90k miles.

John

·
Registered
59 Posts
30k - 40k miles is the mileage range where 90% of the inakes fail. It's in the Service Bulletin.

·
Registered
36 Posts
oh ok....I was trying to say you were bsing....just didn't know where you came up with it. I was just making the point that you would rather check the housing then mileage....I mean like I said just because most have already been changed at low mileage doesn't mean that car has been....just check the housing.....lol

John

·
Registered
131 Posts
yeah mine cracked right where the thermostat goes in it. i guess i'll will go to ford and get it changed ( 68,000)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts