Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has come to my attention that some people are not posting because they are afraid that another member will start a pissing contest or get into a big argument. I am posting this in the 2003 Terminator forum because I feel this is where it belongs.

Major portions of the forum members are 03 Cobra owners, and the 03 forum gets more traffic (posts/threads).

The reason I am posting is to come up with a solution, I am looking for a way to end all the pissing contests, and deflate some of this negativity that's becoming common in this forum.

What do you guys thinks? As always I am open for suggestions, if you don't want to reply publicly, then PM me or send me an email

We can all get along on here. Some times its easy to get caught up in these forums, most everyone here has done it at least once.

I created this site purely in hobby, not to make money or for any other reason. I enjoy cars and computers, it was a perfect combination, and I really hate seeing this sort of thing going down, and sometimes I feel like I may be the one to blame since ultimately I have full control.

I don't want anyone here to just stop posting because you feel threatened or whatever it is. We are here to share information, so lets get to it!!

Sorry for venting, but I needed it... WHEW I feel better

:blob

·
Registered
309 Posts
I am one that has cut way down on posting. I have always made my posts somewhat selective, but feel that I am even more selective with what I post and who I post to.

I know there are certain people that will always take offense to what you write. The net has many people from many different backgrounds, and by not knowing those backgrounds, one has no idea where one is coming from.

I am not sure what happened to you HRH, but I enjoy your posts because you were never afraid to ask. Your passion for the car and performance comes out in your posts, so please keep up the good work.

As for anyone else, just keep everything real. Good humor is always great, but when you get some humor directed your way, don't think it is someone bashing you or trying to flame you.

With the experience in people on this site, it is by far the best site for technical info and help. I hope we keep it that way.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I agree with Harry. The amount of people posting seems to be declining. I think the Mods need to do a better job of keeping peace and not stiring the pot and making the tension higher. A mod should delete or close a thread before it gets ugly. I post on about 6 different Mustang sites, some do a good job of moderating and some don't. The best ones are the ones that don't put up with any BS. As soon as something is out of line it's deleted, before most even see it. On these sites you know not to even try to post any BS because it will be deleted. These sites are nice places to go and relax with no tension. Just my .02. RAY:cool: :cool: :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don't know exactly what is going on here but here is my $.02 worth.
Quite often I see comments posted that are meant to belittle and/or insult someone. Some of it is from a well intentioned post being taken as an insult (maybe your drivetrain clunks because you need to learn to drive smoother, a stick is different than an auto...OMG!), the individual replies with some sort of smart mouthed comment, the other poster gets miffed because all his good intentions did was get him some grief and it's all down hill from there.
However I think most of the demeaning posts are due to the anonimity that the internet provides. People post things that they would never say to someones face, especially if that someone is bigger than they are.
I don't know what can be done about it other than aggresive moderating which can cause its own unique problems. Personally I ignore the demeaning stuff and refuse to justify it with a reply unless it is from someone taking what I posted in the wrong manner. Then I will post once, maybe twice more trying to smooth over the situation and then I'll stop and let the thread die.
I hope this rambling of mine helps in some way. There is a lot of good info shared here and I hate to see good people leave.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Here is my 5cents, there is no more 2 cents :)
When a person posts negative stuff, Deleate it ..
everyone is intitled to their opinon, any bashing just throw them off........ this will stop it ALL
Harry u owe me a chip.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I have no problems with the moderator that Harry is talking about.

I think it is odd that Harry would come in to this thread and publically bash someone, and while he left out the person's name, leave no doubt who he is trying to bash.

Isn't this what this thread is about stopping?

On the few occasions when I had something to say about moderating, I said it to the person on the phone or in AIM, not in a public post.

I like Eric, I like Hammer, in general I like all the moderators here (except maybe 1). I think having an open post do critique moderators is a bad idea.

Since Harry and Ray have already written several paragraphs about my best friend in the the '03 scene, the only guy who has crossed over from a guy to chat online with and go to the track with, to a genuine friend, I must say something.

For most of the wars that went on here, Hammer was the guy who put the lock on and it was other moderators that reopened the thread for the wars to continue.

It was a different moderator that started the thread about long signatures.

Harry, you seem like a nice guy. I know you have stuff going on in your non Cobra life. You have made some great posts and have been a big supporter of the scene. BUT, your opinions change like the wind. At least half of your posts in the past were pure BS or an advertisement. Sometimes your modest, other times your bragging that your car would run X.XX and you have a million HP because Pete does. Some guys including me, could do without that. In a few posts I have given you a little shit when I thought you deserved some, but I support you in any thread when I thought you have been wronged. And Hammer does the same.

Like I said, I like the job Hammer has been doing. If all the moderators get on the same page about locking, and leaving locked "crazy" threads, the board will calm down. I enjoy an occasional contentious thread, anybody read the "who is the king of Mod Motor" thread lately?

Anyway, instead of threatining to leave the board, Harry, you should go to the track or go have a beer with Hammer, and all will be fine.

JT

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hammer , the moderator , I feel does a super job !!!
Controbutes a bunch to this site , Jackets , input on 03 cobra stuff, Tech , and all that , and more ..... Just look back
or do you all forget. Just as I .
tech , and info.../. questions and answers ........
any attacking , just stop it and remove them.......
Say SEE YAAA !!!

·
Registered
652 Posts
JT, I don't want to start a flame throwing contest here but you are contridicting exacly what happend. Now that you brought up the thread about long signatures. If we should call or PM a Mod about a problem we have with them, why shouldn't the mod do the same. Hammer was very childish in his post about my signature. Why didn't he call or PM me. Is there different rule for some or should they be for all? You right, Hammer didn't start the thread but he stired the pot and caused a thread to get deleted. Just my opinion. RAY:cool:

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Ray,
No problem. Hammer called me to vent about how that thread went down, not about you, but just how the thing unfolded and was gone before he could fix it. When you two talk, I'm sure it will be straightened out.

Did you go to the Hooters thing this week?

JT

G

·
Hammer..just to set the record straight...I mentioned no names.

JT....I have been to the track 3 times so far...and my times speak for themselves. Yes...I have nitrous too..do I use it..for me to know.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

·
Registered
652 Posts
JT, I don't go to Hooters anymore. It's nothing but a ricefest!!!

The point I am trying to make is if a Mod is going to flame then don't expect the member not to. RAY

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Harry,
No offense dude, but what are you talking about?

I am not attacking you.

I don't know why you deleted what you wrote?

Calm down, man, please.

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Let me see if I can clear up some things

my post wasnt allowed to be deleted or edited for 1440 days. Anyone else have this done to them?...no I think not..more head games from a certain moderator
Not true, Hammer had nothing to do with that. I was playing with the forum settings and I thought one day was long enough for someone to edit or delete their thread (1440 minutes = 1 day)

I have since changed it back to no limit.

As for anyone else, just keep everything real. Good humor is always great, but when you get some humor directed your way, don't think it is someone bashing you or trying to flame you.
This is a very important statement. I think everyone here like to make jokes from time to time including me. Everyone has a different sense of humor. Sometimes the so called bashing is humorous to some, others take offense. If your going to joke, make sure everyone knows that.

With the experience in people on this site, it is by far the best site for technical info and help. I hope we keep it that way.
I agree with you there. I have worked hard to get some of the big name modular guys to hang out with us here. I definately hope we work everything out and continue to be the best source for modular information.

As soon as something is out of line it's deleted, before most even see it. On these sites you know not to even try to post any BS because it will be deleted. These sites are nice places to go and relax with no tension. Just my .02. RAY
Ray, you are correct, When I started the site, I thought I would try something a little different. I believe in freedom of speech, but I see now why the other sites do it the way they do. I can tighten things up abit.

cobrabruce, I agree with everything you said.

For most of the wars that went on here, Hammer was the guy who put the lock on and it was other moderators that reopened the thread for the wars to continue.
Hammer is the most active moderator. I agree with you there. As for other moderators reopening threads, I believe you are referring to me when I unlocked the thread that Rob Raymer was posting in. I unlocked it to prove a point, which I posted, then later I locked it back. Maybe I was wrong for that. I cannot think of any other incident where a post was reopened.

It was a different moderator that started the thread about long signatures.
Yes, it was ModMan, a good friend of mine. He has a twisted sense of humor. If I could get him to post more, you guys would see it, he is a total trip. At any rate, I should have probably deleted that thread when it was first posted, or reworded it.

I enjoy an occasional contentious thread, anybody read the "who is the king of Mod Motor" thread lately?.
Although that thread looked out of control, I was in contact with both Granatelli and Mihovetz while they were posting. Normally it would have been way out of line, but I had insight on it. These guys are the pioneers of mod motor racing.

Anyway, instead of threatining to leave the board, Harry, you should go to the track or go have a beer with Hammer, and all will be fine.
I agree here, remember, Busch is the official beer of ModularFords.com :D

So I see from posts just placed before this one as I was typing this one...you see....people say one thing in person and online kiss ass....to funny. You know...I am much better off without this.
Yep, alot of two facers, but thats life. I just learned to deal with it.

Hammer , the moderator , I feel does a super job !!!
Controbutes a bunch to this site , Jackets , input on 03 cobra stuff, Tech , and all that , and more ..... Just look back
Yes, Hammer has contributed a bunch to the site. The Jacket thing was totally out of his pocket, that says alot. His technical posts are almost always very informative. On the other hand, he makes mistakes, just as I do, and everyone else here does. Pete, Harry, Hammer, JT, and most all of you guys are great contributors.

I'll stop there for now and see what kinda response I get, hopefully good.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Eric Brooks said:
remember, Busch is the official beer of ModularFords.com :D
Busch? BUSCH???

If Busch is the official beer, then this must be the official slogan:

Busch beer. Got a drinking problem? That's no reason to have a financial problem.

:D

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
JT said:
Since Harry and Ray have already written several paragraphs about my best friend in the the '03 scene, the only guy who has crossed over from a guy to chat online with and go to the track with, to a genuine friend, I must say something.
The feeling is 100% mutual, JT. 100%.

Thanks for the kind words, bro.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
7DMACH1 said:
Hammer was very childish in his post about my signature.
You are right, Ray. It was bad judgement on my part.

It was 100% intended to be a joke but when I re-read it, it came off with an edge.

Then I was about to straighten it out and the thread was locked. So I didn't get a chance to set the record straight. I have no moderator rights in the Bar forum...I'm only moderator in Terminator.

In any event, my apologies for insulting you.

·
Registered
94 Posts
As an "outsider" to the drama I can tell you a couple of things:

1. Guys that make big numbers have big egos. Nature of the beast.
2. Most of you guys are definitely not the most internet savvy folks in the world. You're racers / gearheads.

Now before you all get pissed at me read on....

What that adds up to is a lot of misunderstandings and miscommunications. Things typed one way are read another and then the snowball begins.

It's all downhill from there.

Everyone referenced in this thread has at one time or another shown themselves to be dedicated to the advancement of the hobby, and willing to go out on the line and help someone else.

That's the bottom line, and really all that matters.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts