Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read about 40 pages from 2006-2007 and never really found any solid info (dyno sheets). On an average street cobra with a stage 5+ ported eaton, how much power and torque would you pick up with a mild street cam and stage 3 ported heads? When I say stage 3, I am meaning stiege's stage 3 flow numbers. I am choosing stiege as an example because his ported head flow numbers are already available in past forums. So it could be steg stage 3 or any one elses that flow similar numbers. I mean an average street cobra as in pump gas and under 17 lbs of boost. Say I can make 525/525 with full exhaust and ported eaton on pump gas and safe tune (21 degrees timing). From the 525/525, how much gain would I get from a mild cam (example..crower or comp stage 2) and max ported heads ( like a stage 3)?? I dont want a rough idle. Noticeable is ok, but not rough. I read that the ported heads will allow me to run more boost, therefore gaining HP. I was just wondering if anyone to date has any info like dyno sheets that can show me gains. Has anyone taken a car running one setup and then WITH THE SAME CAR installed ported heads/cams and ran a "back to back" comparison to see what the actual gains were? I just want to know if its worth spending $2900 on heads and another $1000 on cams. My goal is the get as much gain on a roots type blower as possible. I would love to get a TVS blower set up going with heads and cams once Sensak has some more info on his TVS kit. That set up would be bad ass if the heads and cams actually gave me good gains with the TVS. I just want good proof before I drop $4000 on them. Thanks

·
Registered
784 Posts
The problem isnt the heads. The eaton will only flow so much air. You would problably end up having the same 525 hp but it would be at 12 psi instead of the 17 psi you had before. You can up the boost with a smaller pulley but the eaton cant flow enough air on the top end and you will still have the same hp but better tip in torque. In other words, you would have maybe 16 psi at 3000 rpm and it would fall off to 12 by redline. You need a blower that will flow more air before you will reap the real rewards of the ported heads and cams.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
The only real gain I have seen on eaton cars have been with ported heads i.e. stage 3, and with the Comp Cams xe274bh-116 (#106460) anywhere from 30-80 HP. Without changing anything but the tune. There ae more gains by increasing boost as well.

BTW, IMHO the best modular cams on the market today are the FRPP high lift cam set, they were developed by Roush Racing for Ford, and have longer/better valves and different roller rocker arm lengths/ ratios.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
The only real gain I have seen on eaton cars have been with ported heads i.e. stage 3, and with the Comp Cams xe274bh-116 (#106460) anywhere from 30-80 HP. Without changing anything but the tune. There ae more gains by increasing boost as well.

BTW, IMHO the best modular cams on the market today are the FRPP high lift cam set, they were developed by Roush Racing for Ford, and have longer/better valves and different roller rocker arm lengths/ ratios.
Wouldn't the best cam be a custom one setup for an eaton blower at 17psi and setup for your head flow numbers.

Also isn't the FRPP high lift cam set made for N/A engines so it would not be the best for our setup. Just making sure we are talking about the same thing.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Wouldn't the best cam be a custom one setup for an eaton blower at 17psi and setup for your head flow numbers.

Also isn't the FRPP high lift cam set made for N/A engines so it would not be the best for our setup. Just making sure we are talking about the same thing.
I think a blower cam would be better on a blown engine than a n/a cam on a blown engine. The frpp cams are n/a cams like you said.

·
Registered
764 Posts
so with the 3.4 whipple, built bottom end, stock heads, long tubes- what cams? ported heads and cams are pricey but just to do the cams right now while the motor is out, might be able to pull it off.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
http://www.modularfords.com/showthread.php?t=42268

Read and learn! I'd just slap some cams in there if it was me.
That is not the way I read it. Doing heads and cams will let him get more power at equal boost. Say he gets 15rwhp per lb he goes up and will run 17psi. If he drops 4psi doing heads and cams then repullies for 17psi he will gain 60rwhp from nothing else but repulleying. If you are trying to max out a combo then you must get the best flowing heads and best cam setup to do this. Also same pulley combos you will create less heat making a bit more power. Just my 2 cents.

·
4.6 ways to waste money
1,940 Posts
I agree. More power less boost. IMO cam timing plays a big role also...

·
Registered
997 Posts
I agree where you guys are coming from. I would recommend custom grind cams. The way i read it, ported heads, stroker motors etc.. make your motor more efficient dropping boost. Now you have to spin your blowe a little harder to get back up to the PSI you want to be. That's by no stretch or means bad, just harder on these smaller blowers. TO each it's own.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Way back in 2004-2005 JDM made 600/600 with an Eaton with the assistance of Stage 3 blower cams. The heads flow so much more than the blower can already, that the cams are going to be where it is at. I think when they did that they where running a 6lb lower with a 2.8 upper. You should contact JDM if you want the skinny.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
I don't think the JDM numbers were ever reproduced or even approached. Not a very good basis for comparison. If someone has matched or gotten close to those numbers, I'd love to see it.

·
4.6 ways to waste money
1,940 Posts
With my Cams and L/T's I was dropping around 4psi. The car made 610/545 with 15.5 psi. Something was working.

·
Registered
211 Posts
With my Cams and L/T's I was dropping around 4psi. The car made 610/545 with 15.5 psi. Something was working.
what cams are you running? I need to hear / see this beast in person!

·
4.6 ways to waste money
1,940 Posts
I have the Stg 2 Comps, not sure on the grind number. It's got some chop, sounds good. Chugs in stop and go traffic like a mo-fo.

When the KB bit the dust I jumped on the Eaton revival and had Posi port it and Accufab inlet. I hope to have it running again this week, I'm hoping for mid 500's when all is said and done.

·
Registered
211 Posts
what KB did you have? I was looking to get a 2.8h this winter & the crower stg 3s with a port.

·
4.6 ways to waste money
1,940 Posts
Good ol' 2.2. Melted a seal internally due to my "overspinning it" was pullyed for 21 psi. Was going to go 2.8 Mammoth, but bought a motorcycle.

I have a wet kit sitting here for the car, we will see how it goes all blower. If I can get into the 10's again with the Eaton I would be stoked.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts