Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
kinda forgot about this site, but here's my new dyno numbers from my DTA ported headswap kit.

254 rwhp and 297 rwtq. SAE corrected.



Air/Fuel- pretty crappy. :vomit:



realistically, what do you guys think i can get power-wise with a good tune? It's still at the stock timing (10*) as well. I'm debating between getting the car tuned by Fordchip.com or buying a timing adjuster and the MAFterburner and tuning it myself....though, i'm all ears for other suggestions as well.

TIA,
Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh yeah, list of mods:

basic 01 ported headswap. (stock valves and springs)
FRPP ceramic shorties
VRS catted X pipe
Borla cat-back
underdrive pullies
FRPP 9 mm wires
K&N air filter
SPEC stage 2 clutch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,046 Posts
Nice numbers Matt!!!!
Realisticly,it depends on the tuner.I've seen 5rwhp to 15rwhp on N/A car depending on how and who tunes it.
If you have a good tuner in your area use them.If not,then go the T/A maftb. setup.I know Bill(mustang92) has had ZERO luck with chips in his N/A..He tunes with the T/A and gets the best results.

Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'd like to do it myself, but the problem is that i don't know of any good ways to adjust air/fuel, besides a chip or computer reflash by a tuner.

i've seen the MAFterburner in use, which appeared to be pretty good, though i've heard a lot of bad stuff and told to avoid that program.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
just wondering what you have head about the mafterburner. i have heard nothing but good about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ubeenbit said:
just wondering what you have head about the mafterburner. i have heard nothing but good about it.
just stuff about how it tricks the MAF and the voltage reading or something like that. One of the t-bird people told me that it could potential be very bad for the car.

I'm still debating though. If a couple more months go by and i see good results with it, i might pick one up. I'd love to up the timing to about 13-14* and flatten my air/fuel to a nice 14:1 (after the cats). I think i'd make some sweet power from that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
I personally would take it to a performance shop that has a Dyno, and can tune a chip onsite. I originally had a Diablo chip in mine, but it was such a hassle for the tuner to keep getting custom programs from them that made me change to the autologic. Atleast then, the tuner could make any corrections instantly without holding up his Dyno. Also, the auto logic seemed to have alot more programmability over the Diablo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
stanggt00 said:
I personally would take it to a performance shop that has a Dyno, and can tune a chip onsite. I originally had a Diablo chip in mine, but it was such a hassle for the tuner to keep getting custom programs from them that made me change to the autologic. Atleast then, the tuner could make any corrections instantly without holding up his Dyno. Also, the auto logic seemed to have alot more programmability over the Diablo.
i thought the diablo was better then auto logic? well, i know Fordchip.com uses diablo, if they don't reflash your computer. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
IMO Diablo is much better. I think both are good for the power aspect. But as far as safety, and driveability go, I would not depend on autologic too much:rolleyes:

I've also been curious about the MAFterburner, but I'm afraid I'll lean my car out too much and throw another rod out the side of my block. Or possibly 3 rods like last time:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
I didnt say I didnt like the Diablo. It was great in my car. My only point, which was not to glamorize Autologic, but to make the point of utilizing a chip that the uner can easily tune for your vehicle. It just happened to be that the shop I use is able to do their own tuning on the autologic without having to constantly call a Diablo Tech and get custom programs for each test and tune that they do. Hell, there are a ton of chips out there. Some chips are built a little better than others, but overall they all do the same things. Last thing. My tuner told me that the autologic had quite a few more programable parameters that he could utilize when tuning my car. Thats all for now. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
I'd like to hear why Autologic chips are unreliable...anyone care to enlighten me? If anything Superchips are well known for their problems especially concerning it cutting off the EEC and stalling cars. There have been at least a half dozen cases noted on the boards including people that ended up in wrecks due to this. Then figure in that diablo is based on the superchip I don't see how anyone could say they are more reliable or better. They don't even touch on the functionability that the Autologic chip can.

By the way I am in no way baised towards one chip or the other, I don't use a chip and prefer not to.

Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
Actually, I know why the Superchips cuts off the ECC. It's because the chip does not go far enough into the computer housing. I found this out because I had a superchip in my 00 explorer and when I sold it for the mustang, I tried to put it in. The car wouldnt start so right away I was like "WTF?". Anyways, I took the computer board out of the housing, and plugged the chip in that way, and it worked just fine. However, I needed to put the computer back together, so I couldnt use the superchip. Thats when I got the diablo because of its inside pigyback design.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,573 Posts
97MattGT said:
just stuff about how it tricks the MAF and the voltage reading or something like that. One of the t-bird people told me that it could potential be very bad for the car.

I'm still debating though. If a couple more months go by and i see good results with it, i might pick one up. I'd love to up the timing to about 13-14* and flatten my air/fuel to a nice 14:1 (after the cats). I think i'd make some sweet power from that.
MAFterburner bad for the car? No. That "t-bird" person was right in the fact that the product does modify the MAF signal to control air/fuel AND there are some things you have to know when tuning air/fuel this way like the fact that you are altering the PCM's load calculation. You also need to understand what effects that will have on the car's performance. Bottom line..... the product A) works and B) is VERY RELIABLE. Just do a search over on Corral or Stangnet or SVTPerformance and you will find many people who have them and like them. Out of the 300+ we've sold in the past year, NONE have come back and AFAIK, not one customer is unhappy with the purchase. We pride ourselves on building quality products that work as advertised and on our excellent customer service.

Now, there are some people out there bashing the product and all others like it saying that it's not the right way to solve your problems because it "lies to the PCM". IMO, those folks are simply closed minded; there are many ways to solve problems. I strongly believe that people want results and don't give a damn about fighting any political/conceptual battles.....nor do I. They want to be able to regain the power to do some of their own tuning, like the days when we could change carb jets or turn a distributor. To them it makes little difference how they get to where they want to be, they simply want results and the MAFterburner gives results.

Later,

MJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,046 Posts
MJ,
You have built some great pieces for the modular community.There will always be naysayers on things but your success proves itself time and time again.
I thought of something else you might consider making.The modular cars are making more and more power.Alot of guys dont want to goto a standalone but are limited by injector size.Why dont you design a driver box for modular mustangs and L's?Im sure some of the 03's will be needing something shortly with the power levels being increased weekly..Just a thought.If you do it,I get royalties right?:D

Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,573 Posts
Cobra Killer said:
MJ,
You have built some great pieces for the modular community.There will always be naysayers on things but your success proves itself time and time again.
I thought of something else you might consider making.The modular cars are making more and more power.Alot of guys dont want to goto a standalone but are limited by injector size.Why dont you design a driver box for modular mustangs and L's?Im sure some of the 03's will be needing something shortly with the power levels being increased weekly..Just a thought.If you do it,I get royalties right?:D

Tim
Hey Tim,

Thanks for the kind words. Do you mean a low-impedance (peak-hold) injector driver?

MJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Evil Genius said:
Naysayers?!?!?! In the modular community?!?!?!? Awww hell....say it ain't so. :rolleyes:
Hey SD---

Nice to see you have joined us here at modularfords :D Did you think you could hide from us here ?? hehehehehe LOL

:p :p

Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Evil Genius said:
Who's hiding? :shocked
Evil Genius?? Thats all you could come up with?? Bwaaaaaaaaa LOL.... "The Game" getting old now?? LMAO hehehehe...

Lets get some :turd flying so we can :flush and keep :banghead

Jeff
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top