Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason my 96GT feels like it dosnt have the power it once used to. The plugs and wires have about 11/12K on em. I don't know when the fuel filter was last changed. I have an offroad X pipe, but no MIL elims so the CE light is on.

I noticed today the inside of my exhaust is really black. Is having the CE light causing my car to run rich?

I also noticied that when I'm downshifting and letting the RPM work their way down the exhaust has a slight popping/backfiring noise.

What are some other thing to check for my recent lack of power.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i would start with a full tune up
plugs
wires
fuel filter
and if you have a k&n (clean it)

you also might want to get new O2s

·
Registered
492 Posts
If your gonna run a NO-Cat setup, then you should either install an adjustable fuel regulator, and or have a custom tuned chip installed. The chip will keep the C/E light off and give you the most HP for your setup. The Fuel regulator will allow tyou to maintain the best mixture throughout the seasonal changes of cold to hot and vise-versa.

·
Registered
138 Posts
He he your car is runnig rich also mine did the same thing get those O2's changed out they crap out for the most part after 60K anyway mine had 150K on them and the popping with your O/R pipe get used to it. That soot in your pipe tell's all fuel is messed up and my money is ont he O2's

1 - 4 of 4 Posts