Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have heard so many different things about what power shifting is that I'm not sure which one to believe. What is power shifting? and is it the fastest way to shift?

Thanks

·
Registered
692 Posts
Keeping the pedal floored and tapping the clutch enough to let you shift. (without lifting your foot off the gas) It's the only way to race.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a friend of mine mentioned that powershifting was when you just pull the shifter strait into gear without using the clutch. Is there a term for that as well? is that slower? I know it isn't good on the tranny, and I don't plan on doing it, but I'm just curious.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the input!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Powershifting is dangerous to your car if your rev limiter is disabled. Which a lot of chips do if you dont specify that you want a rev limiter. If you arent used to it and miss a gear, you could watch your motor go up in smoke. I only say this because I dont have a rev limiter and and I have missed a gear a time or two...almost had bad consequences.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah I kinda figured that... I'll be sure to keep the rev limiter on there if I do any computer work.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'd be surprised if you could shift under full power without the clutch, I picture trans parts scattered over the road. You need an old top loader crash box haha.
My power shift goes like this,
pedal to the metal,
500 rpm before redline, pull on shifter,
keep gas pedal bolted to the floor, punch clutch .2 to 3 similar but push on shifter .. etc
U NEED A REV LIMITER if you plan to shift like this.

I had old chevies for years the old muncie trans is so different to shift than these T.. trans, I like the old trans/shifter setup better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You will break a fork if you shifted without the clutch Under full throttle. It wont go in gear now you can how ever drive around town and shift without using the clutch. I have seen many clutch cable broke or melted do to long tubes.

·
Registered
131 Posts
how in the hell do you take off i can shift from 2nd up to 5th w/o my clutch but you would have to get out and push your car to get it in first

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you don't shift into first without a clutch... you're right, the only way that is possible is to get out and push, but in older tranies, shifting without a clutch is possible. A friend of mine had an 11 second '69 maro and he shifted without the clutch.

·
Registered
131 Posts
i can but don't like to with my t45 but the rpm's gotta be right .

·
Registered
406 Posts
If you do start powershifting, make sure you get an aftermarket shifter which will help protect your trans (adjustable stops will keep you from bending internal shift forks).

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had a 68 BB Camaro with a muncie trans, you can modify the syncro rings to create a home made "crash box" and pull the gears at full throttle with only tapping the clutch pedal.
I shift at low rpm up and down without the clutch with my t45.

LodBot said:
you don't shift into first without a clutch... you're right, the only way that is possible is to get out and push, but in older tranies, shifting without a clutch is possible. A friend of mine had an 11 second '69 maro and he shifted without the clutch.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
CR Motorsports said:
If you do start powershifting, make sure you get an aftermarket shifter which will help protect your trans (adjustable stops will keep you from bending internal shift forks).
Thanks, that gives me an excuse to by a shifter now. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts