Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the Cobra out of the garage the other day and noticed a pretty large spot underneath the driver side. Looked like power steering fluid to me.

I checked under it yesterday, looked like it leaked out but I couldn't pinpoint where. It didn't look like anything had leaked out in the last day or so. I checked the steering reservoir then took it out for a short run around the block, on the way back the power steering pump started to whine like an old pos.

Nothing was leaking from the rack itself or from the boots, but I found some spots where it looks like some fluid has been making a mess of things:

Top of the Reservoir looked to have a residue left on it:

This hose had come loose from the bracket and was very close to the pulley, but it doesn't look like the hose was damaged. I placed it back in the bracket for now:

These two lines under the Reservoir looked like they had fluid on them:

And the lines going in/out of the Power Steering Cooler looked like they might have seeped some out at the connections:

Any idea on where to even start with all this? Any help is appreciated, thanks guys. :dunno2:

I picked up some Valvoline :mad2: Power Steering fluid over the weekend without doing my research, but after leaving the store I decided to head to the closest dealer who still had a parts counter open at 4pm on a Saturday. They said they were out of Motorcraft PS Fluid until Monday, so I haven't put anything in the reservoir as of yet.

I bought a siphon pump to take out some of the old gunk and refill it, but I'm waiting until I get a good fluid. From searching around it looks like ATF fluid is what is recommended?

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
try replacing those spring clamps with regular hose clamps. It's common for those to lose tension over time and start seeping. All the ones on my car that I haven't replaced seep still. I noticed it when I was fixing my coolant leak @ lower house going into block and saw all my power steering lines seeping like that too. Also, the pressure/return lines may need new o-rings on them where they go into the power steering pump.

Do NOT use "Power Steering Fluid" in these cars. The power steering system used to use Dexron 3/Mercon in these cars. Don't think you can find it really anymore and Ford issued a bulletin to use Mercon V now instead. I've been using Dexron 3 in mine and am gonna switch to the Mobil 1 Synthetic Mercon V next time I flush it

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
try replacing those spring clamps with regular hose clamps. It's common for those to lose tension over time and start seeping. All the ones on my car that I haven't replaced seep still. I noticed it when I was fixing my coolant leak @ lower house going into block and saw all my power steering lines seeping like that too. Also, the pressure/return lines may need new o-rings on them where they go into the power steering pump.

Do NOT use "Power Steering Fluid" in these cars. The power steering system used to use Dexron 3/Mercon in these cars. Don't think you can find it really anymore and Ford issued a bulletin to use Mercon V now instead. I've been using Dexron 3 in mine and am gonna switch to the Mobil 1 Synthetic Mercon V next time I flush it
Yea I read about the Mercon after searching around a few forums. I was just looking for something temporary, but I didn't use anything since I didn't have to move it any time soon. Will pick up some Mercon V on my lunch break.

So replace the connectors with band clamps?

It looks like the spring connectors under the reservoir might have caused seepage thus running down the lines?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is this Mobil 1 good for the power steering?

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF
Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is designed to provide significantly higher levels of performance above conventional fluids in most domestic and imported passenger vehicles.

The synthetic base oil enables excellent performance even in the severest of operating conditions. It offers outstanding gear shifting and power transfer performance versus conventional ATF fluids. The inherently high viscosity index and stability of Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF help protect against thermal breakdown at high operating temperatures, while still providing outstanding performance at very low ambient temperatures.

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF combines high-performance synthetic hydrocarbon base oils and a superior balanced additive system to provide significantly higher levels of performance above conventional fluids. This unique, advanced technology provides long drain capability, excellent friction retention, and low-temperature fluidity. Further, it helps to improve overall transmission durability and cleanliness. Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is also compatible with conventional ATFs.

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is formulated for use in most North American, European and Asian vehicles.

Approved for Allison C-4 applications

Exceeds JASO 1-A performance standard

Also suitable for use in vehicles that specify the following fluid requirements:
Audi G 052 025-A2, G 052 162-A1
BMW LA2634
Esso LT 71141
ETL-7045E, ETL-8072B, N402
Ford* MERCON*, MERCON V, MERCON LV
All 2005 and earlier GM vehicles**
Honda ATF-Z1*
Hyundai SP-II, SP-III
Idemitsu K17
JWS 3309
Kia SP-II, SP-III
MAN 339F, V1, V2, Z1, Z2, Z3
Mazda ATF-III, ATF-MV
Mercedes-Benz 236.1, 236.2, 236.5, 236.6, 236.7, 236.9
Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II, SP-III
Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J, Matic-K
Subaru ATF
Toyota T-III, T-IV
Voith 55.6335.XX (G607, G1363)
Volvo 97340
ZF TE-ML 03D, 04D, 09, 14A, 14B, 16L, 17C
* Not recommend for CVT applications, Mercon® SP, Ford Type F
** Mobil DEXRON-VI ATF is recommended for 2006 and newer GM vehicles and improved performance in 2005 and earlier vehicles, wherever DEXRON is specified.

Automatic transmissions should be checked for proper fluid levels at regular intervals, and the fluid should be changed at manufacturer-recommended intervals. However, this may vary due to your vehicle's operating conditions. Some manufacturers recommend more frequent changes of transmission fluid under severe driving conditions, such as heavy traffic, hot weather and trailer pulling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts