Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just caught something over at SVTPerformance. Is diablo working on a predator system for the 03?? That would take care of the tampering and warranty problems for sure.

Does anyone have any more info?? ie.

1.) When will it be available?

2.) How does it compare with whats currently on the market from diablo for the '03?

3.) Do we lose any features?

4.) Will the predator be able to handle multiple programs or switch on the fly?

5.) Any security features?

6.) Program or tune updates via email from tuner?

7.) How many tunes can the predator hold. (Flash between stock and modified)

I'm really curious about this product. It would be really cool if we made some changes to the car, and instead of sending the chip to Rick or anyone else. The tuners can email us the new tune download it to the predator and then flash the PCM.

Talk about slick!!!! :D

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Fearbluer1 said:
Hi everyone,

I just caught something over at SVTPerformance. Is diablo working on a predator system for the 03?? That would take care of the tampering and warranty problems for sure.

Does anyone have any more info?? <SNIP>
Hi, I can't answer your questions regarding a Predator for the '03 Cobra but I can tell you that I witnessed one in use on an LS1 Camaro and was VERY disappointed in the amount of tuning power it gave the user. IIRC, you could adjust air/fuel by +/- 10% (total across the board at WOT only) and timing by +/-5% (about 1-2 degrees).

There was a bunch of other stuff it could do BUT IMO this would be NO substitute for a good chip tune. I'm sure Rick could comment on it in more detail.

MJ

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've read up extensively on this, and wanted to provoke some thinking, along with some responses.
I'm no tuner, and have no "expert" opinion to base any heavy thinking on. But from what I've gathered, a tuner can take this package, take the same program they'd put on a chip, and simply d-load to a user, who could then take the device and load the program to the car?

For the simpletons like myself, we might see this as a way to keep our cars in warranty, and still reap the benefits of a master tuner, without jumping through all the hoops. From someone viewing it in this perspective, isn't this an easier way to fine-tune the car?

My own reality is that I've got a Diablo chip right here. All I need to do is spend the $240 on a PCM, and whatever costs (likely $60 to my NGS tool-toating locksmith) are necessary to swap the PCM in/out. If I were to throw down the bones on the Predator, I"m simply throwing away the $350+ I spent on the chip. However, for those just now getting their Cobras, or deciding to finally mod the car, isn't this a viable alternative? I'm failing to see real cons here, though that though isn't taking into consideration possible extra fees that a tuner might choose to charge for continual services.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Overtoad,

That is exactly my point. I personally don't really care, if I myself can change all the fields. I will leave that to the more experienced tuners like Rick and the others.

But if I can download the file on my PC that was emailed by a tuner. Then download it to the device. Then from the device to the car throught the odbII port.

I personally think this would be a huge advantage.

1.) You don't have to tamper with the computer. Leaving no physical evidence to void warranty.

2.) You can keep the different tunes on the computer. And have access to them whenever you want.

3.) You don't have to pay shipping for new tunes. Fees may however still apply.

4.) Load the stock tune when dealer visits are required.

I think if people actually have the other chip. It might not be benifical to revert to this. But it depends on how much the warranty means to them to.

Peace,
Tim

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am just begining to understand the PCM thing...:confused:

However, I find this proposed system to be better than the adding of a chip to the outside of the PCM...;)

1. Appears to use the PCM (computer) and its associated memory and tables to tune car...

2. Gives more flexibility and power to the owner...

Can't wait to see what shakes out....:D

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Diablo,,,,,,,,,Chip then Dleta chip..then Revolution chip now Preditor ............WTF is next???

:rolleyes: :shootbird :confused:

jim v.

·
Pushrod Dinosaur
1,006 Posts
Jim Vaccaro said:
Diablo,,,,,,,,,Chip then Dleta chip..then Revolution chip now Preditor ............WTF is next???

:rolleyes: :shootbird :confused:

jim v.
How about this?? Your car is fitted with a unit that sends data directly to the Diablo network of computers that monitors your engine data and continuously adjusts your program as you drive, achieving perfect A/F and timing on the fly 24 hours a day 7 days a week. :D

gary

·
Registered
94 Posts
SVTyballz said:
How about this?? Your car is fitted with a unit that sends data directly to the Diablo network of computers that monitors your engine data and continuously adjusts your program as you drive, achieving perfect A/F and timing on the fly 24 hours a day 7 days a week. :D

gary
LOL! I would pay for that!:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
The way things are goin, Its only a matter of time before thats a reality.

Predator seems like just the ticket for me.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I guess while I am waiting for Hurst to produce their #391-5036 shifter for the Cobra I can wait for the Predator as well. The best comes to those who wait.... Easy boy put the plastic back in your wallet...:cool:

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
The only advantage to a chip I see is a dual program chip. I don't think you can change the program on the fly with a flash setup like that.

·
Registered
835 Posts
SVTyballz said:

gary
Then the only people winning races would be the hackers ;)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yep! the computer nerds have found a home in high performance tuning :jawdrop

I can't wait to see what they will be coming up with;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts