3. -10% A/F -4% Timing Pre Ignition @ anywhere above 4500RPM
4. -15% A/F -10% Timing Pre Ignition @ anywhere above 5000RPM

Factory HP Tune

1. Stock Program No Pre Ignition @ any RPM in any gear
2. +1% A/F 0% Timing No Pre Ignition @ any RPM in any gear
3. +1% A/F +4% Timing Slight Pre Ignition @ Tip in
4. +1% A/F +8% Timing Pre Ignition @ 5000
5. +1% A/F +6% Timing Pre Ignition @ 5500

I will be testing the Diablosport Performance this evening as the outside temperature has changed 20deg.

Mods: Predator,2.80 snout pulley, auxillary idler, TB/Inlet, CAI, Bassani high-flow X-cat, 3”Dynomax Ultraflow Cat-back, boost bypass, steeda shifter bushings, UPR Quadrant, Firewall Adjuster

·
Registered
8,192 Posts
fastgascar said:
California "Crap Gas" 91 Octane
Unocal
Make a switch to Mobil, if you can. The fuel is better.

DiabloSport Pulley

1. Stock Program = Pre Ignition @ anywhere above 4000RPM
2. -5% A/F -2% Timing Pre Ignition @ anywhere above 4200RPM
3. -10% A/F -4% Timing Pre Ignition @ anywhere above 4500RPM
4. -15% A/F -10% Timing Pre Ignition @ anywhere above 5000RPM
Any particular reason you were taking away fuel? This, as you know, was causing the vehicle to lean out, and could have been adding to the pre-ignition problem.

I will be testing the Diablosport Performance this evening as the outside temperature has changed 20deg.
I would be very careful doing such with the 2.8 pulley on your Cobra. The Performance tune has several more degrees of timing versus the Pulley tune.

Sincerely...

·
Registered
368 Posts
hey RWTD

Hey RWTD, i have a small problem with my Predator that i ordered from you. Mine is also the ydh1 code with a 9" powerstack and 2.80 pulley, 100mm aux idler and welded in flowmasters with STOCK H-pipe. I just recently took it to the dyno and it pulled very good numbers (457 hp and 501 tq) but we could not adjust the lean condition at all...we went from one extreme to the other on the the fuel table settings on the predator with no visible difference, all the air fuel ratios were around 12.3 to 12.8 (4k rpm to 6k rpm) Is there a way to send it back to Diablo to have them test it somehow to see if that part of the programming is even functioning properly? I am completely happy with everything else though...great product! I'm just worried about smoking my pistons from going lean so im not driving it anymore until this gets figured out. I also talked to Nick and Johann (sp?) from diablo very briefly but i think im gonna have to call them again monday....any ideas about any of this or should i just deal with them directly? any help would be graetly appreciated....thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Re: Predator Tunes

RWTD said:
Make a switch to Mobil, if you can. The fuel is better

Any particular reason you were taking away fuel? This, as you know, was causing the vehicle to lean out, and could have been adding to the pre-ignition problem.

I would be very careful doing such with the 2.8 pulley on your Cobra. The Performance tune has several more degrees of timing versus the Pulley tune.

Sincerely...
I have tried Mobil,Chevron,Shell,Exxon,Texaco in the past and they were all worse. So Unocal tends to be the best for CA.

I did not deliberately take fuel away, when I was in the fuel base adjustment, I noticed that the Rich text was on the left and the Lean text was on the right, so I natuarally started to scroll to the left presuming that it was getting Richer towards the left, by your response, it is obvious that I had it backwards, so I need to test the Pulley Tune again, and instead of leaning it out riching it up.
I hope I understand you right.

Okay I will be careful with the Performance tune.

What is the A/F and timing settings from Diablo for the Pulley Tune and Performance Tune?

·
Registered
364 Posts
This is making me nervous now. I run Sunoco 94 Octane, dont hear any detonation. I worried that I'm running lean now as well. Does the Predator run lean with a 2.80?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re-test(Understanding of Rich and Lean was opposite)
Outside Air Temperature per Raytek 65deg

DiabloSport Pulley

1. +3% A/F 0% Timing Pre Ignition @ anywhere above 2000RPM
2. +6.1% A/F 0% Timing Pre Ignition @ anywhere above 2500RPM
3. +15% A/F 0% Timing Pre Ignition @ anywhere above 3500 RPM
4. +15% A/F -10% Timing Pre Ignition on Tip In will not ping at WOT [tested with 800lbs in the vehicle to 140MPH, however if you roll on it while in top gear at a low RPM it will pre ignite,(my personal theory is that timing advances faster than the fuel can compensate for) this was done twice in two different Cobras with two different Predators, the Mods are exactly the same]

Stock HP
1. +10.1 A/F 10% Timing Pre Ignition @ anywhere above 4500 RPM(it is very rich from idle to 2000 RPM when it finally clears out the timing advances too far)

I will play with the Stock tune somemore

****Under no circumstances am I or any forums/boards/web-sites responsible for any damage that may occur by using these tunes. These are simply my own experiences/opinions that I have posted to try and be informative****

Use common sense if the car detonates do not let it sit and rattle immediately dis-engage the throttle. Too Rich is bad for the cats and sensors, but too lean can pop the motor.

·
Registered
8,192 Posts
Re: hey RWTD

WS6JJP said:
Hey RWTD, i have a small problem with my Predator that i ordered from you.
Mike,

Please give me a call, or email me at [email protected] so I can talk to you about your situation, and so we can get it resolved for you. Please email me your dynographs, a list of all your mods, and all the information you posted above as well.

Sincerely...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FYI:

You can agree or disagree. When using the Predator, under the "Fuel Base" setting if you scroll to the left you will be going Richer (Lower on the A/F #) if you go to the right you will be going leaner (higher on the A/F #).

I was asked why I was going leaner in my first post, which confused me. After further investigation I was correct, my contact @ Diablo (who is also the tuner ) is Willie. He confirmed the settings.

·
Registered
8,192 Posts
fastgascar said:
You can agree or disagree. When using the Predator, under the "Fuel Base" setting if you scroll to the left you will be going Richer (Lower on the A/F #) if you go to the right you will be going leaner (higher on the A/F #).
You are correct. I discussed this with Nick and Johan at DiabloSport yesterday, as well. This can be confusing because it shows "-" negative when you're actually ADDING fuel (going "richer"). On the GM Predators, going left, or "-" negative, will actually take away fuel, or lean the vehicle out. Nick said that they will work to resolve that confusion in a future update.

What I find strange, is when you retested you got this:

4. +15% A/F -10% Timing Pre Ignition on Tip In will not ping at WOT [tested with 800lbs in the vehicle to 140MPH
Kindof makes you go "hmmmm", doesn't it? ;)

I do apologize about any confusion that I may have caused.

Kind Regards...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RWTD said:
You are correct. I discussed this with Nick and Johan at DiabloSport yesterday, as well. This can be confusing because it shows "-" negative when you're actually ADDING fuel (going "richer"). On the GM Predators, going left, or "-" negative, will actually take away fuel, or lean the vehicle out. Nick said that they will work to resolve that confusion in a future update.

What I find strange, is when you retested you got this:

Kindof makes you go "hmmmm", doesn't it? ;)

I do apologize about any confusion that I may have caused.

Kind Regards...
To top it off that was done with the 2.80 pulley, that whole pass was done @ WOT, go figure, and I had 3 additional sets of ears listening for the detonation. I can't figure it out either, but I have since put on a 2.93 Pulley set the Fuel Table to -2% and the Spark Advance to -6deg, it does not appear to pre-ignite with or without the the A/C on, I can accelerate in top gear and I don't hear any pre-ignition.

No apology needed, were all learning about how the Predator works with the Cobras, I am just glad I haven't popped a head gasket...or even worse put a hole in the top of the piston.......so all is well

1 - 10 of 10 Posts