Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the pressure plates different between a mechanical and a hydraulic throwout bearing? I'd like to run a mechanical throwout bearing on a new model pressure plate and I'm not sure if it will work.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If I measure the height of the fingers on the 2012 pressure plate they are 1/4" taller or farther back from the flywheel, compared to an older pressure plate I have. I could be wrong but shouldn't I be able to adjust any differences in this with the clutch cable as long as the throwout bearing fully releases?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've looked at pictures of an 11" 01 mustang pressure plate and it looks very similar to my 2012 mustang one.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I would think it would work, just do some measuring and make sure there's enough travel in the clutch fork and cable to make up for the difference.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thanks I think for the price of a clutch disc worth a shot compared to new flywheel clutch pressure plate etc. Just have to decide between an 01-04 disc or a 2005 -10 disc, both are the 10 spline I need for my cobra t-45. Only .02" difference in diameter 11" vrs 280mm. 04 disc looks like wider friction area on disc than the 2012 disc and the 05-10, think I may flip a coin on which one to try first.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I don't think mixing and matching discs and pressure plates is a good idea. Use the disc that belongs with the flywheel and pressure plate.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I don't think mixing and matching discs and pressure plates is a good idea. Use the disc that belongs with the flywheel and pressure plate.
Cant do that flywheel and pressure plate is the 9 bolt from the coyote. disc for that combo is a 23 spline I need a 10 spline disc like in the 2005-2009

When I talked with FRPP rep said it would work for a newer trans but stack height would be off for older trans.

So only other option is to get a new flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. I figure if I get a take off clutch disc from an older mustang the 8R3Z-7750-A and measure against the disc I have. I only $50 to risk.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Not following your post entirely but the Coyote will accept any modular flywheel so as long as you buy a clutch and flywheel that match you're golden.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah thanks for all the help I know best way to go would buy a new flywheel and then just buy a new clutch and pressure plate but that's around $400. I already have two coyote flywheels both take the 9 bolt pressure plate. I also have a almost brand new clutch and pressure plate off a 2012 sema build mustang less 500 miles if that. The 2012 clutch disc is a 23 spline, I have an older 10 spline trans out of a 98 cobra (has better shifter position for me and at time of purchase was originally going behind a 4.6 4v), so I was going to try and use a 10 spline clutch disc with the 2012 pressure plate, as it would bolt to the flywheel I have now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts