Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice on setting up the flex fuel in the MS3 PNP with the Pro-M sensor. What Hz range or setup did you guys use when setting the sensor? So close to finishing this car out and the tuner is having some issues. Thanks!

·
Administrator
9,455 Posts
Kyle,

If you haven't bought the Pro-M sensor housing, you might want to look into the Motion RaceWorks flex Fuel Sensor Mount, click here => Flex Fuel Sensor Mount. It will save you some money but it will also be a better flowing package, I believe.

The following words are from the big MS3 Pro manual;

"The flex fuel system allows the use of E85 or other ethanol and petroleum blended fuel mixes to be used when a special fuel composition. sensor is fitted. The support is specifically based around the use of a GM flex fuel sensor which outputs a varying frequency signal depending on the fuel composition. This information can then be used to add more fuel and advance timing. Ethanol blends need more fuel volume than unblended fuel and different advance. The basic system uses a two-point system (low/high) and interpolates between the values. You can also use flex fuel to create a blend curve, which is explained in the section on blend curves below."

Here is a shot of the set up screen;

All of this stuff presumes you are using a genuine GM sensor. If you haven't already, download the big (300+ pages) manual off the DIYAutotune site. It will be a big help going forward from where you are right now.

Original GM Flex Fuel sensors can be had as low as ~$60 if you do a little searching on the net.

Ed

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Talked with some folks at DIY Autotune and all is well now. Its just the standard GM sensor setup. I purchased the PRO-M piece before the motion product was available. Ill say this about Pro-M the construction is top notch. Very well put together. Heres hoping Ill get some #s put down before the end of the month!

·
Administrator
9,455 Posts
You're right on both counts Kyle. The sensor is a GM and Pro-M does do excellent product engineering, design and manufacturing.

Ed

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
One recommendation I have for the FF sensor is run your settings as 14.7 (Gasoline) even though you are running E85. It does the calculations off ethanol content off gasoline and corrects your A/F ratio. I originally using 9.8 with the sensor and it was doing Ethanol calculations off Ethanol and messing my A/F up. Or just learn to use Lambda which I have yet to do...

·
Administrator
9,455 Posts
+1 on what Josh said, Kyle. The MS3 needs the two extremes of the fuel possibilities. On one hand 100% gasoline and on the other 100% ethanol. Once it has the two limits it will interpolate based on what the sensor reports back as ethanol content.

Something to remember about the ethanol sensor is that it does not actually measure ethanol content. What it does is measure absence of gasoline content and from that, infers the ethanol content. What that means is if you were to run water through the sensor, it's ability or more accurately it's inability to find gasoline would cause it to report a 100% ethanol content even though the liquid passing through the sensor was actually water.

This knowledge is important especially if your fuel has picked up water. The sensor will read the presence of water as combustible ethanol when it is not combustible and could contribute to a lean condition.

Pick your two endpoints as 100% gasoline and 100% ethanol. Then, not withstanding the ethanol sensor's quirky measuring approach, you will get a correct ethanol content report back to the ECU for injector pulse width calcs at initial startup and normal running. The manual has a follow on section on blending to allow a momentarily richer mixture at cold start to help make initial startup easier in cool weather which might be helpful if you are in cold country and cold starts are lazy.

Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts