Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i currently have a c&l 85mm mas,i hooked up my cold air to it and it ran pretty good but when i piped a larger filter to the bottom of my fender like a s/c set up for cooler air and a ram air effect my car idles like crap and i get the ses light.will the univer fix my problem with the idle and light?

·
Registered
802 Posts
I wouldn't touch a Univer. Get a good dyno tune with the stock meter or Lightning meter. The driveability will be much better. Nothing against Pro-M but one of the best tuners in the country tuned my car and says that even he can only make the Univer "fairly driveable" at best.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but i have a c.a.i. that causes the check engine light because of the bend infront of the meter not the tune.

·
Registered
802 Posts
That's all the more reason not to use the Univer. The bend in front of the meter is gonna' make it flip out even worse than it is now. C&L is supposed to be coming out with a system that eliminates that bend. You might try giving them a call. Pro-M might have something coming too. The Univer is designed to work with blow through style systems such as the Procharger.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The Univer system samples the incoming air from a 360 degree perspective instead of having a hotwire in the direct path of turbulent air...turbulent air that results from the bend of a CAI with the filter in the fender. Micool is exactly right...that bend is going to wreak havoc with any MAF that uses a hotwire/sampling tube, it messes with the air too much...and that screws up all the related transfer functions. This is probably one of THE most important parts of the engine. If you wanna do it right you can work directly with Pro-M in setting up and calibrating your system...and thats what Pro-M is, a system. They will take your entire air intake tract (minus the TB) and calibrate it for optimal performance...if you can afford the down time and pocket book hit. Just some thoughts.

Also...whoever told you the Pro-M Univer is almost untunable needs to contact them about some tuning instruction...because that is a load.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've got a Univer that JMS said they couldn't tune without having the car at their shop.

I guess it can be tuned, but I live well over a thousand miles away where there isn't anyone that can tune the car.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i put the c&l filter back to its original configuration(upper c.a.i. pipe to meter to filter)what kind of power am i losing having that huge filter in the engine bay opposed to having it on the bottom of the fender?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i think i solved my problem...i just ordered a new heatshield and the C&L true flow intake pipe.

·
Registered
182 Posts
twokingsracer said:
Also...whoever told you the Pro-M Univer is almost untunable needs to contact them about some tuning instruction...because that is a load.
Precisly. The only person who I have ever heard talk negative about the Univer is CJ. Most everyone I know who had problems the the LMAF and others were solved with the Univer.

·
Registered
100 Posts
kozumasbullitt said:
well i put the c&l filter back to its original configuration(upper c.a.i. pipe to meter to filter)what kind of power am i losing having that huge filter in the engine bay opposed to having it on the bottom of the fender?
To answer this...no. That big filter in the engine bay allows the tubing on the front of your MAF to be straight. I have heard all the crap about how CAI's bring in colder air and yaddayaddayadda...who cares. What good is that slightly cooler air if it is so turbulent that it causing your MAF to crap all over itself while its attempting to read the mass of the incoming air? Those things are hype and only remotely more beneficial than just removing the air silencer from the stock airbox. If someone were dead set on using one of the current popular CAI setups I would have to say FIPK or Densecharger...I have read decent reviews of them, but they still arent the best option. JMO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts