Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything originated last month at a local dragstrip. On my first run (launching at around 6k RPMs) I heard a loud sound coming from behind my rear right fender immediatly after I launched. It sounded like someone threw a bolt at my right, rear fender when I launched. (I thought it might have been my right shock. The week before myself and a friend installed new Tokiko 5-way shocks.) After Bakersfield, I would hear a grinding sound coming from right rear whenever I would roll out of my driveway or make a turn slowly. I put back the shocks I had previously had. The sound is not as constant, but it is still there.

Just yesterday (3/26) at another dragstrip I had 3 runs. All 3 runs I had the same outcome. I launched at around 5500 RPMs. As soon as I launched my car it would get out of control and whip around. I almost hit the wall on all 3 runs. On the ride home it got even worse. For the first time, while I was driving around 75 MPH on the freeway, the car started to swirve left and right. I do not have my front sway bar on at the moment. But I have not had it on for a few weeks and this has never happened, even when I am driving through turns really fast and going straight, over 100 MPH.

What could it be? :confused:

·
Registered
108 Posts
well...

...are you using stock or aftermarket control arms? could be a broken bolt that mounts the control arms...I had one break on my "5.0 fox body" outlaw car back in 1991.... also could be a broken axle, since you hear a "scrapping" noise and this will send a car off in one direction.

Randy

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would check all your control arm bolts and arms, especially the uppers since they help keep axle located under car.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have MM LCAs. I also have 31 spline axles.
I have not looked at it yet, since my driveway is slanted. I need to go over a friend's house to lift it up. Hopefully that will be soon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
hmmm...i think i have that same problem....after i came back from the track and i pull out of my driveway i hear a grinding noise, but just for a second...my guess is that it might by my exhaust rubbing against the lca's. But this just started happening after i came back from the track. I ran on street tires so i know the axles are fine i'm clueless...it almost sounds like the heat shield for the rear rotor is rubbing against something, but its not..?:confused:

·
Registered
101 Posts
could you be going sideways alot b/c you have MM LCA's with no panhard bar to control their lateral movement?

·
Registered
53 Posts
check the bushing in the LCAs, ill bet that they are busted apart. i had the same thing you describe happen to me and thats what it was.

ive since switched to LCAs designed specifically for drag racing with small diameter bushings. they take the stress of high RPM launches without breaking apart.

-Mike

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts