Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Problem with my car. Suspension or rear end probably........

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  AutomaticWeapon 
#1 ·
Everything originated last month at a local dragstrip. On my first run (launching at around 6k RPMs) I heard a loud sound coming from behind my rear right fender immediatly after I launched. It sounded like someone threw a bolt at my right, rear fender when I launched. (I thought it might have been my right shock. The week before myself and a friend installed new Tokiko 5-way shocks.) After Bakersfield, I would hear a grinding sound coming from right rear whenever I would roll out of my driveway or make a turn slowly. I put back the shocks I had previously had. The sound is not as constant, but it is still there.

Just yesterday (3/26) at another dragstrip I had 3 runs. All 3 runs I had the same outcome. I launched at around 5500 RPMs. As soon as I launched my car it would get out of control and whip around. I almost hit the wall on all 3 runs. On the ride home it got even worse. For the first time, while I was driving around 75 MPH on the freeway, the car started to swirve left and right. I do not have my front sway bar on at the moment. But I have not had it on for a few weeks and this has never happened, even when I am driving through turns really fast and going straight, over 100 MPH.

What could it be? :confused:

#2 ·
well...

...are you using stock or aftermarket control arms? could be a broken bolt that mounts the control arms...I had one break on my "5.0 fox body" outlaw car back in 1991.... also could be a broken axle, since you hear a "scrapping" noise and this will send a car off in one direction.

Randy

#3 ·
I would check all your control arm bolts and arms, especially the uppers since they help keep axle located under car.

#5 ·
hmmm...i think i have that same problem....after i came back from the track and i pull out of my driveway i hear a grinding noise, but just for a second...my guess is that it might by my exhaust rubbing against the lca's. But this just started happening after i came back from the track. I ran on street tires so i know the axles are fine i'm clueless...it almost sounds like the heat shield for the rear rotor is rubbing against something, but its not..?:confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.