Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
The BarTender
Joined
·
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally had the chance to take my newly supercharged cobra to the drag strip for the first time today. The weather was in the low 60's and I was ready for a few shakedown passes. My first 3 passes of the day were terrible due to lack of traction and me trying to get used to all the new power. On my 4th pass of the day I managed to break into the 11's with very limited traction. I had predicted my car would go 11.80 on the drag radials and I got very close with an 11.93 @ 121.99mph. I did this in full street trim and didn't so much as remove the spare tire from the car.:D

I decided to let my buddy make a pass in my car to see what he could do with it after my small success. He is much better when it comes to racing than I am. His pass netted a 12.02 and we were both surprised that he didn't get deeper into the 11's than I did. We decided from here that we would cycle some ice water through the aftercooler and make another pass. We got the aftercooler freezing cold in the pits and right before I got to the line we added more ice to keep it cool on the burnout and the pass. I made what I felt like was a very good pass and only netted a 12.08 @ 120.84mph. The only thing I can figure is that maybe us getting antifreeze on the belt and pullies from draining the water/antifreeze mix out caused the belt to slip slightly. If anyone has an opinion on this please let me know. We loaded the car back up and headed home after that.

I'm happy with the results I had today. I got into the 11's in 100% full street trim, nothing broke, and my mph proved that there's allot left in this car. I think with a real set of slicks the car will go very low 11's and in perfect conditions could break a high 10 second pass. I will have a video of the 11 second pass up sometime tomarrow. The quality sucks because my wife did not get the time on video when I went through the traps. I do have my timeslip that you can see below. :D

Razor.
 

Attachments

·
The BarTender
Joined
·
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
4V_GTS said:
Full street trim:eek:
That's awsome!

Darren
Thanks bro. I'm going to keep practicing with the nitto's and hopefully get a 1.7 60ft time. I also can't wait to get a set of ET streets to see what she will really do! Just need to make some extra money now. Anyone need their home refinanced?

Razor.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
You can see by that slip that traction was a real issue. You can try to feather the crap out of the clutch but slicks may be in order in light of all the power. Well, at least if you really want to see what she'll do.



Congrats!!!
 

·
The BarTender
Joined
·
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lasercobra said:
You can see by that slip that traction was a real issue. You can try to feather the crap out of the clutch but slicks may be in order in light of all the power. Well, at least if you really want to see what she'll do.

Congrats!!!
Oh traction is the main problem. My tires were at 16psi and I launched at 3k slipping the clutch. It just won't hook on DR's. I wil get some ET streets soon.

Razor.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
If I only had your issues:banghead

Take the night off. You deserve it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
akatherazor4 said:
Thanks bro. I'm going to keep practicing with the nitto's and hopefully get a 1.7 60ft time. I also can't wait to get a set of ET streets to see what she will really do! Just need to make some extra money now. Anyone need their home refinanced?
Can you refinance my car?:D
 

·
The BarTender
Joined
·
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Video is up!

I edited the video and got it online for you guys. Please right click on the link below and save it. It's on a slow server so I apologize. Anyway enjoy.:D

Video

Razor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Your Nitto's are brand new.. you need to do a HUGE, I mean HUGE burnout to heat them up, like forever, run them at 12-14 PSI! I have seen some 1.72's with the 315 35's, but with no sidewall its tough.

What kinda boost were you seein??
 

·
The BarTender
Joined
·
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
vortechcobra97 said:
Your Nitto's are brand new.. you need to do a HUGE, I mean HUGE burnout to heat them up, like forever, run them at 12-14 PSI! I have seen some 1.72's with the 315 35's, but with no sidewall its tough.

What kinda boost were you seein??
I tried heating the tires up for different intervals on different passes. My best pass (The Video) I heated them for about 10 seconds. If you run the 315's below 15psi they will cup in the middle. 16psi gave me the best traction yesterday with the nitto's. My Vortech makes 14psi @ 7000rpm's.

Razor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
I ran mine at 12-14, if you heat them up for a long time, they will expand getting rid of that.. but i guess everyone is different, just tellin you what worked for me..

My friend ran thiers at 9 psi on hot days!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
MMMMM Video (Homer voice)


Wish I could have heard the car and that nice whistle under the hood though.:D
 

·
The BarTender
Joined
·
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mineral01SVT said:
Awesome run dude...glad to see it worked out for you...wish I could have been there, but you know I need my beauty sleep

congrats!! :shootbird
Ya I know man, did you have to work on Saturday? You missed a great time dude as always. Just remember that next time we go, your going even if we have to kidnap you!:D Maybe we can hookup and go to Summerduck on thursday or something.

P.S. You ready to install that blower now?:shootbird

Razor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
For a while last year, I owned some 15" BFG DR's size 275X50X15 which I thought were about as good as some 26X11.5X15 ET Streets I had used earlier. Without...all the drivability problems of the bias ply Streets when used with radial fronts. Remember, with regard to tire size, a "little section height is worth more than a little bit of tire width".

It didn't take a lot to make the 15X8 5.5" BS wheels fit over rear Cobra brakes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
akatherazor4 said:
Ya I know man, did you have to work on Saturday? You missed a great time dude as always. Just remember that next time we go, your going even if we have to kidnap you!:D Maybe we can hookup and go to Summerduck on thursday or something.

P.S. You ready to install that blower now?:shootbird

Razor.
I should have come in saturday...but I didn't...now I'm payin for it all week...

Time to hit the boss up for some more scratch so I can try to keep up with you :shootbird
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top