Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would post here to let the rest of the crew know that yes there are a few Hot Rodders that like modern engines. I truely love the 4.6L DOHC engine and bought one for my 1933 Ford sedan project car, that we call Project COBRA'33. This is a full on effert to completely rebuildand improve the archatecture of the original. I started with two new frame rails and worked my way up. For the front I choose a new Heitds front super IFS, and in the rear we bought a new Winters quick-change rear axle, with 4.11 gears, positract and strang axles. Before this project I had never even heard of a terminator engine, but just one look and i was hooked, what a great piece, and I get to keep my car all FORD!!
What started as a new 2004 4.6L 32-Valve DOHC engine, has now transformed into a beast that I hope to take to 600HP (wheels). First i ditched the stock fuel system and converted to 42lb/hr injectors, Aeromotive rails, regulator, return fuel system and new electric pump, in-tank. I sent the blower to steg's for a port and polish job, and while it was off ported and polished the heads, installed ARP studs and bought a new polished TB and Intake. The front pulley has been changed to a 2.75, and we installed all new dual bearing pullies and belt. I went with blus frod valve covers and chorme coil covers, along with BBK ceramic headers, and a stainless dual 2.5" exhaust, with dual electric cut-outs. The engine is now also fitted with a snow performance water/alchoal injection system, and a my design, dual bottle(15lb0 nitrous system that will put out up to an additional 200HP. I also used both the Kenny bell adjust-a-pump and Ajust-a-spark bosster. The intercooler water system had to be modified quite a bit to fit the chassis, and I also went with a 4R70W automatic transmission that was purpose built by AT, with a 2600 stall TC. My goal is to get this thing running as soon as posible, which might happen late this year or the next, we started on 10-01-06. Building a car from the ground up is a very long and trying task, but I love it. We currently have the fram completely finished and the body work all done execpt for the final prep. As soon as the weather breaks, were (My dad and I) going to set the body back on the fram for the final fitting and to hook up the steering and front panels.
The engine was a challeng to get in the car, those wide heads required a all new firewall that was suppose to fit a BBC, but I still had to section them both ways some 3". My chasis is 112" (wheel base), and we got the engine in and down, well into the frame, the handleing should be very good. We also built a full roll cage that will go in at the last minute, it's now final painted and only hase to be welded in one area for final fittting. There is nothing old or used on this car, we have gone with everything new, with the only exception being the original body itself.
I have built several cars in my life time, but done more fun this this one. The complication of this build is both complex and exciting. I will be using the original Ford EEC-V computer from a 2005 Ford Mach 1, yes they didn't build a Mach 1 in that year but I have a computer from one,,,, go figiure. I had to go that route to have the functions for the automatic trany, they we had the blower motor functions added. I built all the wiring harnesses for this project, it has al ittle over 425 wires and counting!! I also added a very exstensive data management system, mainly using Inovate Motorsports controls, we can monitor O2 on both sides, head temps, all eight cylinder temps (EGT), water, oil, transmission and inter-cooler water temps, oil fuel, transmission pressures, boost, vacuume, and so one. One of the biggest challenges was getting everything inside the car, and placed, not much room in there.
I have a site that follows the build which you can find by searching for Project Cobra'33. While this is not my first build, it is my very first atempt at building a first class hot rod. I intend to atleast try my hand at the Riddler Award, which is usually taken by hihg dollar/top builders. While we do not have the funds to compete head on, dollar for dollar. We do have one advantage, and that is love for the sport, and I don't have to pay for my time, which is already somewhere north of 2500 hours and over 145,000.00 to date.
Just as a side note, everyone told me that I could not do this build, the engine was to complicated and would not even fit in the car. Well, we got the engine in there, and I read everything I could to figure out the electronics, now all we have to do is finish it!

·
Registered
895 Posts
welcome

Welcome aboard! Glad to see you're keeping it all Ford. You will have many people giving you the thumbs-up when this is done.

I know your pain on the ground-up deal. I tried that one time (full-tube chassis pro street Thunderbird in the mid 1990's, started with a truck full of tubing) and after $55,000 and almost 3 years, I gave up. Looking back, I really wish I hadn't given up, so keep yourself focused and plug along.

Keep sending us those pics too!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.