Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i am trying to get this issue straightened out hope you guys can help me. I know the proper way to install a pulley on our cars would be with something like a Billetflow, Amazong Racing or Pulley Boys tool. However i do not have one, nor the funds at the moment to buy one. I borrowed a JLP Puller from SVT F150. I was told that you can install the pulley with a bolt that fits into the threaded hole and a large washer. he told me he greased up the shaft and tapped his on lightly with a hammer i believe. I do not have access to any of the good install tools. Is there any way at all i can install this thing w/o one of those? I saw his car last night and the pulley was on there and thats how he said he installed his. I dont want to screw anything up. Thanks

Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,760 Posts
I wouldnt if I were you. The only way is with one of the install tools out there. Atleast its the only and safest way to do the install. Especially if you are worried about screwing things up. If you lived closer I would lend you the ASP tool I have. Maybe someone up in your area will chime in and lend you theirs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,322 Posts
I'm with Harry. Using just a regular bolt, chances are you will just break off the bolt. Hammering it on, you could easily mess up the Eaton. I'd try to find someone close by with a proper tool, and supply beer.

Good luck,
Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really want to invest in the proper tool but i cannot at the moment. Anyone want to let me borrow their puller? :D I guess i will have to be patient and wait until i can get ahold of the proper tool somehow. Thanks guys

Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
2kbill said:
I'm with Harry. Using just a regular bolt, chances are you will just break off the bolt. Hammering it on, you could easily mess up the Eaton. I'd try to find someone close by with a proper tool, and supply beer.

Good luck,
Bill
We are not talking about bashing the thing on with a sledge hammer here. I slightly tapped it on. :rolleyes: I installed the first pulley with a bolt an washer with no ill effects. That is how I was reccomended to do it by JLP. I don't think he is gonna go around telling people to do things that will ruin their blower. :rolleyes: You aren't gonna break any bolts if you use your head. It does not take that much force to put on a pulley. Thanks I needed a good laugh. :p -Mat-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,192 Posts
Dave, since you purchased the Predator from me, I'd let you borrow my PulleyBoy puller, but I need it for all of next week while I'm at DiabloSport. If you can wait until the week after next, I can send it to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,322 Posts
Glad to supply the humor. :D

I've seen pros break hardened installers, thats why I would shy away from a bolt. As for slightly tapping the pulley on, well, go right ahead if you are comfortable with that.

Bill

SVT F15O said:
We are not talking about bashing the thing on with a sledge hammer here. I slightly tapped it on. :rolleyes: I installed the first pulley with a bolt an washer with no ill effects. That is how I was reccomended to do it by JLP. I don't think he is gonna go around telling people to do things that will ruin their blower. :rolleyes: You aren't gonna break any bolts if you use your head. It does not take that much force to put on a pulley. Thanks I needed a good laugh. :p -Mat-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RWTD said:
Dave, since you purchased the Predator from me, I'd let you borrow my PulleyBoy puller, but I need it for all of next week while I'm at DiabloSport. If you can wait until the week after next, I can send it to you.
James thanks for the offer! I will keep that in mind if i do not find a way of getting it on by then. I had my pulley overnighted to me because i thought i would be able to use this puller im borrowing and be able to put it on. But everyones opinion is different. As is this car is my daily driver @ the moment and i dont want to screw it up and be stuck not driving it for some stupid reason. Dumb question but. How were people installing these before the nice pullers came out? Thanks again

Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,818 Posts
I just involved with an instal of an aluminum RR pulley. The aluminum pulley went on very easy.

The steel that was taken off, though, that is another story. IMHO if you do not want to leave any marks, you need a GOOD puller.

If I where you. I'd try to find someone with the right tools to do it for you. If you are in CT are you close to long island? Call Joe at Mustang Magic and see what he would charge for the install.

JT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im not really worried about marking up the stock pulley or the new one to bad. I was figuring maybe put some duct tape on it and that may prevent some markings. Im not sure how far mustang magic is from here. Im guessing an hour to an hour and a half tops

Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just got off the phone with a Local shop about 5 mins from my house. They have a Billetflow puller. i am going to go there tommorow and have them do it :D

dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
Juiced46 said:
Just got off the phone with a Local shop about 5 mins from my house. They have a Billetflow puller. i am going to go there tommorow and have them do it :D

dave
Oh well, sorry I couldn't be of help to ya. Best of luck on the install and enjoy the new found power of more boost. -Mat-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
SVT F150,

You removed and installed a pulley with a hammer? Did I read that right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
slythetove said:
SVT F150,

You removed and installed a pulley with a hammer? Did I read that right?
Yes, a 5lb dead blow. :rolleyes:

No come on man. I removed with a JLP puller. First install I ran the pulley down all the way with a bolt. Second install I slightly tap the pulley on to get it is on the shaft do to not having as long of a bolt at my house(did the first swap at my shop) then ran the pulley on again with the bolt I had. Some people are just too much man. I installed the heat exchanger in my Lightning with duct tape too. -Mat-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mat, i appreciate letting me borrow the JLP puller. But after asking a few questions i was a little skeptical to using that method. Especially since i have to drive the car everyday, and if i screwed it up i would have been F'd. Thanks guys

Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
Let me make a suggestion, from a maint. guy with experience on press on bearings, pulleys, whatever. Heat up the pulley to about 130c we used to use a temp. stick, anyway it will expand the pulley a thou or so and slide right on and put some type of lube on the sc shaft beforehand. Back in the old days we used to chill with r-22 the shaft too, it shrinks the shaft. Been doing it for over 20 years in maint. Of course won't work real well to pull it off. That is the way to keep from damaging bearings etc. when installing new ones. Oh yea use leather gloves to handle the hot part.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top