Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys this application is on a Lightning but the same problem should apply to a Cobra. Lets say I want a 2 lb upper pulley on my truck with stock lower(10lbs). If I add a 6lb lower, Im going to gain more than 6lbs correct (16lbs)? I mean if your gains are 2lbs with a stock lower and you add a overdrive lower, your gains will be more correct ? The pulleys achieve boost levels thru ratios, if you alter the ratios you will see different gains than stated, right ?

·
Bluesmobile
2,121 Posts
The claim of each pulley gain is based on the remaining pieces being stock. Unless it is a Metco lower, I don't know what they base theirs on...
That said, if you install an upper that will give an added 2#'s and a lower that will give a real 4#'s of added boost, you will gain more than the 2 + 4 or total 6#'s boost because the ratio is no longer the same as stock between the two pulleys. Probably an extra 1 or 1.5 #'s. The discrepancy is not all that much and is probably more than offset by slippage of the upper. Too many variables enter into boost calculations to be precise. The same engine can vary widely from one day to the next.
So, in answer to your question, yes.

Dana

1 - 2 of 2 Posts