Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I am about to get my car moving. I am planning on buying a 2.8 upper. I want to get the RR non slip. Not 100% sure they have a 2.8. Anyway my lower will be a metco 6. I have done some research and found that my best belt would be a Napa. But I am not sure what size. Also with the non slip pulley do I still need an idler, and if so witch one is best? Finally is there anything else I need (besides a chip&tune) to make this work right? Thanks...Justin

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
O would use an indler in any case, just to be safe. As far as the belt goes, with my 2.8 upper and 4lb lower and 100 mm idler bracket I used gates 080774. With the same setup and 6lb lower I use 080780. the 774 is 77 7/8 inches, the 780 is 78 5/8. I wouldn't go smaller unless you want to mess with grinding on the tensioner stops. The idler will help insure minimal belt slippage even if the belt is a little bigger. I've tried to get smaller ones on there but just couldn't with the tensioner intact!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had to change from a 780 down to a 774. Sambandits specs are right on regarding the OD. With the 780 I had slip so bad that my RR 2.8/Metco 6# lower shredded the belt. Now the 774 is working much better, however I still am getting slip under high boost. I'm now in the process of having to buy an idler or two....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts