·
Registered
277 Posts
Any of you guys here doing this? I love to hear some feed back.:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
A little oil in the intake is not going to hurt anything. If its chugging it then yes its a problem. But a little bit of oil is injested all the time off the cylinder walls and comes in from the valves.

I personally think it is overkill.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Incon, since our cars have an intercooler (is that the right term?) under the blower, coating it w/ oil will degrade its ability to remove heat from the intake charge.

Try this thread:

http://www.modularfords.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=515

I ordered (or mis-orderd or rather never received) a Racor CCV. I will reorder once I'm done doing some other mods and replace my existing unit seen in the pics in the thread above.

Jerry

·
Registered
15 Posts
I posted this mod over 2 years ago. I got a lot of good feedabck on it. Simple, easy and cheap. A Cambell Huasfeld air/water separator. There are other units and devices to do the same thing, but for $12 at local Walmart and 10 minutes of work it's done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Jerry said:
Incon, since our cars have an intercooler (is that the right term?) under the blower, coating it w/ oil will degrade its ability to remove heat from the intake charge.

Try this thread:

http://www.modularfords.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=515

I ordered (or mis-orderd or rather never received) a Racor CCV. I will reorder once I'm done doing some other mods and replace my existing unit seen in the pics in the thread above.

Jerry
While doing this to relieve oil related fouling may well be worthwhile, I really doubt that coating the IC with a thin layer of oil is going to be decreasing the efficiency of it by any appreciable amount. I wouldn't believe otherwise unless someone has data to prove this.

Thats my opinion as a mechanical engineer with a background in thermo and fluid flow.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is Racor CCV made by Paker Hydraulics? Whats the part #, I might be able to get them for cost.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yes, Racor is made by Parker and its the CCV 4500 you're after. So can you get anyone else one at cost?? :)

Sorry but the Walmart jobs or even the one I installed (which captures more than the WalMart unit) are not 100% effective. The Racor 4500 is the best hope so far..

Jerry

·
Registered
135 Posts
I had considered doing the inline air compressor filter mod but was kinda turned off by the looks after it was done. I settled for using one of these special breather/separators(20635). It has a fine mesh screen material & some white plastic material that looks like a big scotchbrite pad on the inside. Of course, as with all bolt on mods, I hade to make several things myself. The push in shaft of the breather/separator was larger than the rubber grommet on my Cobra, so I had to build an adaptor. Also, the PCV mounting grommet was an EXTREMELY tight fit to get the oem PCV valve to fit, so I had to "grind" some of the metal from the inside ID to allow for less "squeeze" of the rubber grommet.

This mod doesn't "capture" any oil. I'm hoping that the additional internal filtering causes the oil to separate from the air. The oil then simply drains back into the valve cover.

Breather/separator

·
Registered
122 Posts
hmm thats interesting. Im not to keen on this stuff but it looks like a relatively simple install to save some potential hassle.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm not trying to downplay ingenuity or the DIY approach but I have not seen a single homebuilt unit stop the oil vapor flow to the intake tract. The coalescing filters are probably the best bet and I'm polling people on the Powerstroke site how their Racor 4500s are doing on their 7.3L Turbo diesels.. no responses yet.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Larryc, Please keep us posted on how effective this system is. I see a p/n on your post, but no mention of your/a source??????? Thanks, Rob

·
Registered
135 Posts
robm said:
Larryc, Please keep us posted on how effective this system is. I see a p/n on your post, but no mention of your/a source??????? Thanks, Rob
If you click on the linky it will take you to the page that shows this item. Then, if you go up to the URL address line & delete everything AFTER the ".com/", you will arrive at the home page of the company that I purchased it through. Here's a couple of pics of the installed breathers. The passenger side is a Moroso.

·
Registered
135 Posts
robm said:
Hey Rob,
I don't know how to verify the effectiveness of the separator/breather(without removing the S/C to see if any oil is on the intercooler). I can say that I have had 6 dyno pulls & have not witnessed ANY smoke that would indicate that oil mist is reaching the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
NP

Lets ask the big boys, NP you out there? He has taken more than one of these things apart. He might shed some light on the subject.

·
Registered
459 Posts
You'll find the oil a few ways:

- On hard decel (massive vacuum)
- On start-up (it puddles and then runs down the rear most cylinders usually)
- Obviously removing the blower and looking in the lower intake is a great way to check
- ANY residue or moisture on the lower part of the hose after the seperator is the telltale sign that oil is making it past.

Jerry

1 - 19 of 19 Posts