Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Rob, Do you have a kit designed for the vert roofline as well? Those removable bars look sweet. I would be very interested.

Take care,

Kevin

·
Registered
138 Posts
Rob, the bar looks great. I would like to interject two points if I may, as someone who's built roll bars/cages and spent much time going over the rules with NHRA.

The main hoop- I noticed it's slanted back a bit, which is legal, however the rules state that the main hoop must be within 6 inches back (or to the side) from the drivers helmet. Looking at the angle of the seats in the car, it looks like it may be a bit too far back. Not every track official is going to care, but the ones who do check the important safety stuff will notice that.

The main hoop cross brace- While it doesn't say int he rules that you have to have this welded in, you might get some flack for the pin in design. The reason being that the driver is directly attached to this bar via the harness, and the only thing holding him in the event of a crash is those pins. Again, you may never get an official say anything, but I'd hate to drive long distance to an event and have one bust your chops over it.

Please don't take my post the wrong way. I'm just voicing my concerns from what I saw, in the hopes that you might be able to revise your kit early if need be.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hey rob , I herd the rear side bar cant be removable, I will check this out and let you know, I think its kinda unsafe, Me and my chassis man never do that, Only for stiffness and strength,along with safet I wanted mine that way , He would not do it .
tonys metal craft,

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey Pete, what's cookin. Swing out side bars are the only legal removable bar allowed according to the NHRA rules. However the attachment of the bars must meet specific guidelines, as does the hardware used also.

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
Man I just saw the door bars on that cage and it made me cringe.:( The roll bar itself looks great, I'm just in the dilema of having to install one now in my car. Don't get me wrong I want to be safe, But I also don't want to play dukes of hazard going to and from work each day. What's the solution here?

Razor.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Removable side bars are allowed as long as they are attached by a secured 1/2" minimum Grade 8 or better bolt on either end. The crossbar must be bolted securely in place by (2) 1/2" minimum Grade 8 or better bolts.

I have raced at 15-20 tracks across the country with this same setup, and have never been denied at Tech-In.

I only have the lock pins in place for ease of removal while the tracks are closed.

Install time by a qualified welder would take about 8-10 hours.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Rob, looks like you have given us yet another high quality product! Thanks for the hard work!!! However, with these cars comes an insatiable hunger for even more parts, cooler stuff, etc. So whatcha comin up with next!?!?! :D Thanks for the est. time for install too! I was gonna ask about that. I live about 30 min. from Wolfe Racecraft in Arlington, TX so I'm sure they could handle it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the compliments. But if you live that close to Wolfe, you might check to see if they also have a Bar available for it yet. Wolfe makes some really nice pieces too.

I forgot to mention....you don't have to opt for any of the removable bars. We can also send it as a fully weld in unit (same price).

There are a few new parts in the works...but nothing I want to let out of the bag yet. ;)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Rob Raymer said:
There are a few new parts in the works...but nothing I want to let out of the bag yet. ;)
Dah, I knew you were gonna say that. I guess I'll have to wait impatiently like a 6 year old at Xmas time!!! :eek:

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Bar looks good.
It really highlights the problems with having a bar with removable parts. No slam on this particular bar. It's just that if you have removable pieces, when the removed pieces are not in the car you have exposed "stubs"

If the car gets into an accident with those bars out, people are flying about inside the car (even belted in people) and can impale themselves on those stubs. Not to mention, you can contact the bar helmetless. For the front seat people, it would be a long shot to clang their head of the bar, but the rearseat passengers would be very exposed.

If you have a full welded in setup, the stub problems go away, but you can still contact the bar helmetless, and you have the fun of climbing over it all the time.

Damn, what the heck am I gonna do?

JT

·
Registered
138 Posts
JT, keep in mind that with any roll bar, you must have the area where your head can contact it padded with NHRA spec padding. So for daily use, the padding would still be there.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Obiefox said:
Rob, Do you have a kit designed for the vert roofline as well? Those removable bars look sweet. I would be very interested.

Take care,

Kevin
Very interested in a vert model.
James

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hey Rob, is there any way you can put the cage in and not have to trim the rear seat area like your photos show? That just looks kind of funky. How would you go about modifying the seats if that was the only way?

·
Registered
138 Posts
One thing to keep in mind for you vert guys, ALL 03 Cobra verts should have roll bars to be legal, stock or not. NHRA requires a roll bar for convertables 13.99 and quicker.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hey Sal, Whats upp, I think the conv. also needs a cage when it goes 12.99 or faster, I think 13.99 bar, 12.99 cage ! they need it anyway, to stiffen them up. U going to FL. ? nitro
I will if there is a class.for 03 cobras

·
Registered
207 Posts
nitrous pete said:
Hey Sal, Whats upp, I think the conv. also needs a cage when it goes 12.99 or faster, I think 13.99 bar, 12.99 cage ! they need it anyway, to stiffen them up. U going to FL. ? nitro
I will if there is a class.for 03 cobras
No, there are some confusing rules in the new NHRA rule book, but converts are ok to 10.00 with an 8 point bar...I have a 8 point chrome moly bar in my 99 cobra Vert, and I've had no problems passing tech any where...I did have some pics of it and the install, and it was on Rhodes Custom Auto's site, but Spence must have took them down!!! LOL :shootbird hehehehe

Any way, with full bodied cars, stock firewall and floorpan, a 8 point bar is good to 10.00 in both converts and coupes...The bar Has to be 8 point though, not 6 point like shown above...The 2 final bars, go on a 45 angle from the main cross bar behind the seats, down to and through the floor...Mine are tied into my subframe connectors....

give rhodes a call for EXCELLENT custom work and fast too..Ask for spence or ron..

www.rhodescustomauto.com

Jeff

1 - 20 of 36 Posts