Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

Be aware of aftermarket quadrants:

The quadrant I installed in my car had such a quick ramp that there was actually a bend in about 1/2 inch up the cable. With what can't be more than 10,000 miles, my adjustable aftermarket cable was about to break!

So back in went the factory quadrant, pawl and cable. It might not be great for racing, but A) I dont' race that much and B) I don't pop the clutch at all.

Anyway, just thought I'd give everyone a heads up. ...you don't want to get stuck having to start your car in gear at stoplights 'cuz your clutch cable broke on you.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The quadrant.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,466 Posts
Could be any of them on the market. From the pointer in the pic it seems as if there was a raised lip or bur in the trac where the cable sets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
459 Posts
Thats interesting.. have you called the manufacturer to ask them their thoughts? I had an aftermarket quadrant on my 89LX for over 50K miles w/ no issues. don't think its something everyone is going to see. I had my adjustable cable snap on the 03 but that was because it was installed wrong and the adjustable swaged end at the shift fork was trying to run up inside the cable housing, eventually causing the end to snap off. Did you leave the firewall adjuster in place?

Jerry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,736 Posts
I got the UPR firewall adj. and triple quadrant coming, hopefully Broke7 and I can get some results out of it at the track! Keep ya posted!
 

·
Snake Charmer
Joined
·
2,830 Posts
trey193 said:
I got the UPR firewall adj. and triple quadrant coming, hopefully Broke7 and I can get some results out of it at the track! Keep ya posted!
I have one from UPR on the way as well. Trey, did you go with the blue anodized ones that ya buy seperatly or did ya get the plain ones sold together (3004-T I beleive was the number on them).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,736 Posts
Shadow I got the ones that were 59.95 together, 3 hook Quad. and Firewall Adj. hopefully I got the ones Broke did, they tried to sell me the same ones only they said thay are beefier and they would have been 80, I just got the regualar ones I figure they will do the job and will be happy if I reap some of the benefits Broke did, because my tranny doesnt shift like butter to me, maybe its because my clutch pedal releases just off the floor def. not good for good clean quick powershifts!
 

·
Snake Charmer
Joined
·
2,830 Posts
trey193 said:
Shadow I got the ones that were 59.95 together, 3 hook Quad. and Firewall Adj.
Same here, ordered em monday of last week and still dont have them. I have one of those goofy addresses that sometimes shows a different city than the one I am actually in so they shipped and got it back twice before calling me. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,522 Posts
4sfed:

Did you shim your quadrant when you put it on? To make sure the cable was in the center of the quadrant, you have to shim it on both sides. AFM comes with a bushing though, doesn't it?

That's not a stock cable is it..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Uncle Meat said:
May I ask who the manufacturer is of this suspect quadrant?

Thanks...

U.M.
Yea, I got it from Anderson Motorsports. I'm not sure if they make it themselves, however it does say "Quick Release II" on the side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jerry said:
Thats interesting.. have you called the manufacturer to ask them their thoughts? I had an aftermarket quadrant on my 89LX for over 50K miles w/ no issues. don't think its something everyone is going to see. I had my adjustable cable snap on the 03 but that was because it was installed wrong and the adjustable swaged end at the shift fork was trying to run up inside the cable housing, eventually causing the end to snap off. Did you leave the firewall adjuster in place?

Jerry
No, I put the quadrant and cable all back to original.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
IWRBB said:
4sfed:

Did you shim your quadrant when you put it on? To make sure the cable was in the center of the quadrant, you have to shim it on both sides. AFM comes with a bushing though, doesn't it?

That's not a stock cable is it..
No, I didn't shim it. The instructions don't say anything about that.

Nor does it come with any shims.

And no, that wasn't the original cable. I've heard lots of people say that adjustable cables suck....and now I know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,522 Posts
I think that was your problem, the lack of shims. The aftermarket quadrant is not as thick as the stock one. It can slide side to side on the shaft. This makes the cable get worn like yours. The wear on the top of the quadrant shows where it was rubbing on the top of the quadrant. It was not centered up.

You should use washers to space the quadrant so the cable sits directly in the center of the groove. Mine took three on one side and one on the other. It depends on the thickness of the washers you use though.

Did you hear a popping sound sometimes when you'd push in the clutch? That would be the cable popping down into the groove after being off center.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IWRBB said:
I think that was your problem, the lack of shims. The aftermarket quadrant is not as thick as the stock one. It can slide side to side on the shaft. This makes the cable get worn like yours. The wear on the top of the quadrant shows where it was rubbing on the top of the quadrant. It was not centered up.

You should use washers to space the quadrant so the cable sits directly in the center of the groove. Mine took three on one side and one on the other. It depends on the thickness of the washers you use though.

Did you hear a popping sound sometimes when you'd push in the clutch? That would be the cable popping down into the groove after being off center.
No...never heard any popping.

Hmmmm. What you say makes sense. ...you'd think the vendor would include everything you need, including the instructions to instruct you to space it properly.

Oh well...I like having the self adjusting mechanism back in there. ...now if I could stop hitting my knee on steering wheel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
I just installed the UPR tripple quad with the firewall adjuster and are impressed with the overall performance gain. They didn't come with shims though.
I used a couple of flat washers for spacing.

Riaan

Zinc yellow 03
[email protected]
 

·
Bluesmobile
Joined
·
2,121 Posts
Besides not shimming it to center the cable, a little grease would have helped too.

Dana
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
577 Posts
I just ordered my UPR triple hook clutch quadrant, firewall adjuster, and "heavy duty" clutch cable today.... came out to $99.95 before shipping....will have it installed soon. After a few runs in the car now, the pedal gets "mushy" and feels differently...so we will see if this helps. Does anyone else have this problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,522 Posts
SolidSnake. You really shouldn't use that cable. The stock one is better and works fine with the UPR pieces.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top