Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my Quarter Master Stampede Series clutch this week. 8.5", sintered iron, sprung hub and total assembly only 22 lbs. It isn't in the car yet but I wanted to post a few pictures of this awesome looking piece.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Jon L (Dustoff) and I bought the exact same units togather and he has weighed the complete stock assembly as well as the new Stampede unit. Stock was 37 lbs and new is 22 lbs. That's a 15 lb savings of rotating mass off of the crank.

Attachments

·
Yes...it can be done
3,140 Posts
Looks good Hammer, what have you heard about its performance?

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
03Steve said:
Looks good Hammer, what have you heard about its performance?
Well, I've done some research. There are very few clutches that have the torque holding capacity to match KB power while maintaining some street manners.

This unit will hold approximately 600 ft lbs of torque, is 15 lbs lighter than stock (which means critical rotating mass on the crank - should allow car to spool up much faster though RPM band) and is 100% rebuildable.

It sells for about $1,000 delivered.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Hopefully it will be user friendly...Best of luck with this new setup ..Many of us will be upgradeing clutches sooner rather then later..Looking foward to your revue after install..

·
Registered
863 Posts
I will let ya know how it runs tommarow almost got the install complete. Some PICs to follow...

Jon L

·
Registered
863 Posts
Rich Sorry don't mean to high-jack your thread just easier to post PICs under something already started ! :)

Notice there is not alot of area for clutch to grab... 8.5 inches wide !

Jon L

Attachments

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dustoff said:
Rich Sorry don't mean to high-jack your thread just easier to post PICs under something already started ! :)

Jon L
No way, dude. You go with your bad self. Let's see some install pics!

:salute

·
Registered
863 Posts
Pressure Plate ! Man is it Tiny... This is compared to a Lightened SPEC 3

Flywheel, Clutch. P.P. weights

Stock 37.1 lbs

SPEC3 34.0 lbs

Quartermaster 8.5V
22.0 lbs

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
dang. That is one sexy clutch. A little pricy, but worth it if it holds together under kb powah.

Does it chatter? Is it heavier on the foot than the stock clutch?

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
I taked to those guys in Columbus at the NMRA event this year. They talked a good game, and the parts looked top notch. They even got interviewed for the EPSN coverage by the guy with the alcoholic-nose. :lol

I'm sure Hammer will give it a proper "stress test" :hammer

Here's a link to thier site BTW http://www.racingclutches.com/

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, I spoke briefly with Jon L tonight (dustoff). He got the clutch in and took a brief drive in the car (no boost because no chip in the car at the moment).

GREAT NEWS!!

He reported no chatter whatsoever! The clutch is user friendly, can be put in 1st and reverse without any buck or chatter at all. He did a small test of launching at about 1500 RPMs and was able to slip the clutch.

But the pedal travel is very narrow - about 2-3 inches. He also reports pedal pressure to be about the same as stock.

He could definately notice the RPMs coming up quickly, due to the very lightened rotating mass on the crank.

It looks to be a big winner and JL will post more tomorrow when he gets his chip in and can really take it for a cruise.

I'll give full feedback when I get mine done as well.

·
Registered
863 Posts
CLutch is in an Running ! Install was straight forward with no problem just wish I had a lift ....

Initial impressions for a racing clutch it is streetable ! I got a little more drive time today but I am waiting on a Chip reburn and I really can't launch hard or lay into it.

It seems though that most of the drivablity issues are in the take-off mode of driving. IE 1st gear in traffic ! Today the clutch definately showed its racing manners and bites off the line more than I excepted ! QuarterMaster says to install a Pedal Stop becuase the clutch does not have one. Once I got the adjustment right with the stop, Engagement and disengagement were much better. There is now only about 2 inchs of travel for On & Off ! Due to the Pedal stop though I had to re-engineer the Clutch Kill switch since Pedal travel does not engage switch (Disconnected and Plugged 10 amp Fuse in to make hot so car will start).

Chatter did accompany driving today but as it warmed up the chatter was very minimal. Because of the Pedal stop in place I can see some serious shifting going on, but I will obviously need some practice. The entire shifting manners of the car have changed so once again a learning curve must follow !

Another add-on I did while modding was the M&M pedal adjuster ! What a great mod ! It levels the Clutch pedal even with the brake and combined with a firewall adjuster. You can set the Pedal any where you desire.

Sorry for the long write-up aqnd not saying much as soon as I get the Chip back in I will have a much better review of the Potential of this Bad Boy !

PIC of the Pedal adjuster and Pedal Stop !

Attachments

·
Registered
863 Posts
BTW, the Pedal Stop I installed was courtesy of Home Depot $1.78...:D What you see is on everyone's Pedal all ready I drill the hole larger to esxcept 3/8 inch bolt but the Stock pedal has a Rubber groumount through those 2 holes which hits a medal bracket on the firewall for a factory stop "so to speak". Anyone that is racing this 6 Speed i feel would benefit from an adjustable stop in this position. This way you can set your Pedal higher with a non-adjustable quadrant and firewall aduster. With this setup the stop is set to hit the Pedal much higher and takes the guess work out of how far you puch the Clutch in. Just Push to the stop and Shift. Previously I know I had the habit of pushing the clutch to the floor and screwing up my shifts.

Hopefuly this will quickin up the shifts big time ! There by giving you a slightly better ET !

Thanks,

Jon L

·
Registered
406 Posts
Any updates on this unit?
Does anyone make a triple disc setup for the cobra?
Also this unit is a twin disc is that correct?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts