Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I had seen that Ford was offering the '03 motor in a crate. Does anyone have any more information on it. I think it was complete with supercharger & computer.

I have a buddy who needs a motor for an 86 fox body. We where talking about the different possiblities. He was really excited about the possiblity of putting the 03 in his fox body. What a great sleeper for a car around 2800 lbs. =)

Any ideas?? Cost?? Have to be purchased through SVT??

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
516 Posts
I understand you can buy a complete motor....s/c to oil pan....for 12 grand. I don't remember the name of the company but can get it if you are interested.

BTW I watched one run on e-bay a couple of weeks ago and it only went to $6600 which didn't meet reserve. Reserve was like 10 or 11 grand.

You would be better off looking for an 03' that was totalled....take what you need....part out the rest. I have already seen two 03's that were totalled and sold. One with 102 mile and the other with like 1400-1500. Poor bastards.:eek:

·
Registered
516 Posts

·
Pushrod Dinosaur
1,006 Posts
Not that this means anything, but i heard that they were 5999.00 when they were first listed........... Who knows.........Who really cares since they are 12k now.........

gary

·
Registered
516 Posts
Yeah....who cares what they were.

Hell four years ago I bought two Explorer 302 crate motors for $2650. Injection to oil pan, GT-40P heads, engine wiring, complete ready to drop in...plug connections in...and go, even had oil and filter. Just goes to show how supply and demand affects pricing.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys!

I thought the same thing around 6,000.00 or so. It was a very attractive option at that price. But 12,000 is too rich for my blood, I will let him know though.

As long as I'm on the subject, another motor he was looking for in crate form, was a GT40 with either the b303 cam or the e303 cam. I looked up fordracing.com but they don't have any pricing. Anyone know of a good place for picking up crate motors. I will have to look at that kraft site again. I just saw one that was an exploer motor. Hmmmm decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Fearbluer1 said:
Thanks Guys!

I thought the same thing around 6,000.00 or so. It was a very attractive option at that price. But 12,000 is too rich for my blood, I will let him know though.

As long as I'm on the subject, another motor he was looking for in crate form, was a GT40 with either the b303 cam or the e303 cam. I looked up fordracing.com but they don't have any pricing. Anyone know of a good place for picking up crate motors. I will have to look at that kraft site again. I just saw one that was an exploer motor. Hmmmm decisions, decisions.
FYI the Explorer crate motor is very similar to the 95 Cobra motor. With the exception of the cam (possibly valve springs), water pump (different shaft length), and the oil pan, the long block is the same. I'm sure I missed some other small items that may be different...but my point is with a couple of minor changes the long block is a great donor for a Mustang.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Yea, but that 302 splits in half at 500-600 HP. Good for the average project, but not for HP freaks.

If you're gonna run the Exp 302, get a Romac balancer on there straight off. The OEM units are junk. It's 50 oz out of balance, so it needs a good one. I had a 94 Cobra and those things spit OEM balancers like you wouldn't believe. Sometimes, they took the crank and block out with them.

I'm glad my new Cobra has a zero balance engine :D :D

·
Registered
516 Posts
IWRBB said:
Yea, but that 302 splits in half at 500-600 HP. Good for the average project, but not for HP freaks.

If you're gonna run the Exp 302, get a Romac balancer on there straight off. The OEM units are junk. It's 50 oz out of balance, so it needs a good one. I had a 94 Cobra and those things spit OEM balancers like you wouldn't believe. Sometimes, they took the crank and block out with them.

I'm glad my new Cobra has a zero balance engine :D :D
It's funny you say that....I know someone who bought a pile of the Explorer 302's and used the long blocks for road racing. He grenaded about four of them.....broken cranks and sometimes block. I believe their class had to run stock balancers. Hmmmm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts