Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new 03-04 cobra oil pickup tube and I have a new 2014+ oil pickup tube that came with the oil pan I ordered. The differences are obvious but why the reduced opening on the newer style? Is it better than the Cobra pickups? I can't see why Ford would change it for the bigger more powerful GT500 if it wasn't an improvement.

GT500 Oil pickup:
Bicycle part Nickel Metal Fashion accessory Auto part

03-04 Cobra Pickup:
Bicycle part Nickel Automotive exterior Auto part Automotive super charger part

· Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no one has any insight on the differences.

· Administrator
9,833 Posts
I've seen that treatment before Troy. I don't know the reason. I have alternately been told it is to protect the screen from crud blocking the pickup, I have also been told it is to break up the fluid vortex in the pickup at the tube entry providing better oil flow to the pump inlet and a myriad of explanations.

I have left them alone and I have also removed them. I am currently in the late stages of the remove them frame of mind. I suspect they probably do not matter for any of the reasons I've removed them — which is bringing me full circle to where i originally was that is to ignore them and leave them alone.

Of course those little voices in the back of our heads, the ones that are always talking to us, are having a field day and a bit of a squabble in the back of my head right now. The one with the black hat is saying, 'if it's purpose isn't obvious and it appears to hinder anything, it belongs in the same bright idea bin as the four thread plug holes — rip it out idiot!' The other guy, the one with the white hat, is saying, 'OK smarty pants before you go ripping it out, explain to me one more time why it has no value!' Tough little guys to deal with on a day in and day out basis ...

Sounds like your guys are having a pretty good time also.

· Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ed I was afraid of getting that type of response but It was to be expected. I don't think many know that the newer Gt500 oil pickup tube fits 4v's let alone touch one. I might reach out to L&M and maybe even MMR and see what they have to say. Other than that I will just use the "updated" pickup

I also guess I shouldn't even mention that my new heads are still rocking 4 thread inserts....

· Registered
5,416 Posts
Well I have the lock-n-stitch kit that I'm going to rent if you want to fix those heads.
Did mine and I'm glad I did!

· Registered
5,416 Posts
Ed,
Not for a sec trying to high jack the thread but since were on the topic. Do I use my 03 cobra pickup tube or the 08Gt tube since it's an 08gt block?

· Administrator
9,833 Posts
Ed,
Not for a sec trying to high jack the thread but since were on the topic. Do I use my 03 cobra pickup tube or the 08Gt tube since it's an 08gt block?
I don't have a personal preferance. That being said Ford did feel strongly enough about the pickup mods to make the newer pickup different, so that does say something. If you used the Cobra pickup it is worthwhile remembering it is being used on 8 second and quicker cars and has been for a long time w/o incident.

· Registered
54 Posts
Just from looking at the pick ups, I would use the 03-04 one. My reasoning is this....I would postulate that the larger opening on the 03-04 pick up would be easier for the pump to pull oil through than the restricted opening on the GT500 pick up. Less work for the pump to do means a little more power to the engine, how ever marginal it may be. Every bit counts, right? It takes more work to drink soda through a coffee straw than one you would use for a big gulp.

· Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just from looking at the pick ups, I would use the 03-04 one. My reasoning is this....I would postulate that the larger opening on the 03-04 pick up would be easier for the pump to pull oil through than the restricted opening on the GT500 pick up. Less work for the pump to do means a little more power to the engine, how ever marginal it may be. Every bit counts, right? It takes more work to drink soda through a coffee straw than one you would use for a big gulp.
That is the obvious though by if it were true why the change? I'm leaning on putting my 03-04 tube on but just want to inquire to see if there is anyGee Wiz" people out the that knows.

· Registered
596 Posts
Personally I feel it was Ford's cheap way of trying to fix a Oil Pickup Tube uncovering problem. Instead of invest more funds in a new oil pan with special traps and so forth, they opted to stick this cover on the oil Pick-up tube, which in essence limits or cuts down on the total area needed to remain submerged in oil. By doing this, the worries of the oil pump loosing it's prime are greatly diminished. I'm thinking fairly aggressive driving, high corner loads and fast acceleration. With a smaller footprint available, the likely hood of being uncovered during a spirited run is lessened. The Oil pump pick-up still has the same tube diameter but sports a hood limiting the screened area at the bottom (capacity), but better oil control under harsh driving dynamics. Personally, I would ditch the new Oil Pick-up and a go to the older, more wide open model...I feel it will flow more oil, with less total resistance then the new style pick-up tube and that would be my objective with a pick-tube. Oil control is not part of it's job discription...so I would opt for a oil pan that does the job needed in that department, and keep the oil pick-up tube limited to actually picking-up the oil needed for the oil pump. It probably does not matter much on a street, OEM application...But I would rather have full capacity on the inlet side of my oil pump for most other applications.

· Registered
5,416 Posts
Going to run my cobra pickup.

· Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm bumping this because I am slightly in a bind again. After getting the work done to the oil pan I realized that I have to use the GT500 pickup as the cobra pickup will not fit (hits the pan) without modding. I've tried shimming it and it would need to be cut up a bit to fit with the pan.

So with that said I have two options

Option 1: Use the GT500 pickup as it is

Option 2: Use the GT500 pickup but cut the opening to full size like the cobra's.

I have to post a pic of the finished product as it is a real work of art! Russ really put effort in this and I am just beyond astonished!

A garage full of parts!

Reactions: mercenvy_3114

· Administrator
9,833 Posts
Russ really did do a nice job on that pan Troy! That amount of work and welding would be a pricey job if it were taken to a commercial shop.

BTW I had another thought on the pickup that I should have picked up on originally and it slipped by. I would use the GT500 pickup with an opened up pickup for another reason — pan fitment. Not the interference issue you discovered but the pickup placement relative to the bottom of the pan. The aluminum pan is a different depth than the Cobra pan. To get the benefit of the increased pan capacity the pickup has to go to the bottom of the pan. The target dimension off the floor of the pan should be 5/16" to 3/8". Less and you choke off the pickup more and you start to loose the additional oil capacity the pan provides.

You can check the dimension with some modeling clay and oil. Stick a hamburger shaped piece of the clay to the dry pan bottom below the pickup. Oil the top of the clay hamburger so it doesn't stick to the pickup, put a pan gasket on the block and bolt the pan down then remove it and cut through the clay with an exacto knife. Measure the offset from the bottom of the pan and you know exactly where you are. Adjust as necessary to get to your target dimension.

· Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
thanks a lot for the reply Ed. So you think I should open up the GT500 pickup? I currently have 1/4 of clearance from the pan but can play around with it to open it up some more.

So now after adjusting it I'm around 11/32" so I should be good to go. I'm just trying to confirm that you recommend cutting the pickup open like the cobra style or not.

· Registered
5,416 Posts
Question, how come you had to make such a crazy pan? I'm running a Moroso with the cobra pickup and no issues.

· Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Question, how come you had to make such a crazy pan? I'm running a Moroso with the cobra pickup and no issues.
I suffer from over achieving-itis syndrome! Ah really just to be different and use an aluminum pan as the options available seem to be hit or miss as far as leaking. I purchased the 14+ Gt500 pan just to see if it would fit with plans on cutting it up a little and that sparked into Russ making the pan you see. He just had one idea after another and I let him run with it. I had no intentions of it turning out this way but I am more than happy. If I sell the car I'd probably take this pan off first!

· Registered
5,416 Posts
Lol cool deal.

· Administrator
9,833 Posts
thanks a lot for the reply Ed. So you think I should open up the GT500 pickup? I currently have 1/4 of clearance from the pan but can play around with it to open it up some more.

So now after adjusting it I'm around 11/32" so I should be good to go. I'm just trying to confirm that you recommend cutting the pickup open like the cobra style or not.
That's good spacing, Troy.

I would make the area of the opening in the bottom of the pickup equal to the area of a 1" ID tube. That way the pickup is not throttling the pump. Sort of like a crusher and a big SBTB to keep from throttling a big blower.

· Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds good Ed, I'll cut it open tomorrow and make sure I clean it out well.

Troy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts