Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
My car hates me
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching some drag racing last night. I think it was in Arizona. Anyway, during the prostock races when the cars are staging the crew chief from each team comes up to their respective car and does something near the hood. Almost like they're flipping a switch or something. What are they doing?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I was watching some drag racing last night. I think it was in Arizona. Anyway, during the prostock races when the cars are staging the crew chief from each team comes up to their respective car and does something near the hood. Almost like they're flipping a switch or something. What are they doing?
They may be turning on the data-logger. I'd have to see the car to know for sure. Those cars record just about everything----even shock travel,clutch rpm vs. d/s speed, individual cyl egt, etc.

Then they go back to the trailer and really go to work----analyzing the data. They may make clutch/timing/jet adjustments depending on the cars data, and the weather data at the time.

If you haven't been to a race in person and followed a team---from actual run, to tear down, then next round---you should definitely go. It's a sight to see!

·
My car hates me
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't even think about that. I thought it might have to do with fuel or something. Idk. Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I was at the NHRA event in AZ this weekend and didn't notice them doing this so much on the ProStock cars but they also did something like this on the Funny Cars. I wondering the whole weekend what they were doing.....
-Kyle

P.S. NHRA National events are something Every true car guy/girl MUST see!

·
Registered
721 Posts
On the funny cars and top fuel cars they have a throttle stop inserted into the linkage which they remove after the car has done its burn out. Not sure what they would be fiddling with on a PS car though... data logger is a good bet.

U.M.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts