Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I've got a 1979 Mercury that is getting a complete drivetrain swap out of my poor, wrecked 1999 Mustang.
So far, it's been easier to use the whole 1999 Mustang harness and just adapt the various parts I want to keep from the 1979 (switches and gauges, mostly).

This year of PATS has the tricky bits included in the instrument cluster (HEC), but I really don't want to use the 1999 gauges when the Mercury has a very nice set of Autometers.
In past I had tuned the Mustang with SCT X3/Advantage and I still have that available, so worst case I just turn the PATS off.

However, I do like the idea of the PATS. If someone wants to steal my car, I think they will be more troubled by the fact that it's a 5-speed than by the electronics. No anti-theft I know of can stop a tow truck. And all the arguments for getting rid of PATS. BUT: I'd like to be able to keep family (teenagers who know how to drive stick...) from driving the car, and actually intend to put the transponder in another location, with something other than a key, to be able to simply make the car unusable when I don't want it to be used.

If I turn off PATS, I would build an RFID relay circuit that basically does the same thing. But I already have that, if I can keep it, and Ford's system would be less janky than my own.

So, here are the questions: Can the portion of the instrument panel with the PATS info (the little odometer module, which I could stick into a separate box) communicate on the SCP without being in the main part of the cluster? Or is it possible to use just program a standalone PATS module (like the PATS B module from a 1999 Ranger) in place of the HEC? Again, I have access to programmers so there's got to be a way to do this without having a complete instrument cluster pcb stuffed into a corner of the car.

Thanks for your consideration. And to those who are already firing up the "just turn it off" replies: I know, thank you. I already have had the same conversations about EGR and various emissions items, and those are all still in place. I think I can make this work too (although I did ditch the ABS and traction control, because I don't want them; they were already turned off when it was still a Mustang).

·
Administrator
9,338 Posts
Please let us know how this works out for you. You could be the first to succeed at this sort of endeavor and it would be good to know how you did it. As the saying goes, inquiring minds want to know ...

ed

1 - 2 of 2 Posts