Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never really had much of an issue with the Race Stars and the shit lugs and washers that usually ship with them. But on my last Summit order I snagged a set of the McGards after reading about them on here and WOW, they work great. No idea why but they threaded easier and the washers set better than the original lugs/washers.

Great tip from Beefcake and certainly worth a hundred clams to me as much as I'm swapping wheels.

McGard 63000 - McGard Drag Racing Lug Nuts - Overview - SummitRacing.com

· Registered
2,762 Posts
yea I use the McGard lugs also. I did this swap on my 2001 back when the wheels first came out as Greg Welds and they are definitely much nicer quality. I also went to Fastenal and picked up 20 stainless steel fasteners for the centercaps as the stock ones started rusting after a couple months and looked like crap.

· Registered
108 Posts
Those lug nuts look like they need 3 inch long wheel studs to make them NHRA legal.

Anyone used the Race Star wheels with stock front studs and got nailed in tech for improper thread engagement ?

· Registered
2,762 Posts
No idea. I run 3" studs up front and 3.5" out back with the open mcgard lugs. Also use hubcentric rings from jimsracingtires.com as it makes it easier to install the wheels with offset washers. If you have a strict track they may give you crap over stock studs with drag wheels

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.