Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yall should remember my topic about the 1.159 60 ft time posted last Friday and the trouble I was having with my chip. I called JDM and they told me the guys were already at FFW in VA and to take my car up there. Mark and I left 4:30 Saturday morning and got there about 9:15. JDM was set up right on the end. I walked up and spoke to Shawn. The next thing I know they are really into helping me. I really thought I would be lucky to get them to look at it since they were racing and probably wouldn’t have a lot of time. They went way out of their way to get my car running right. Jim really jumped in and helped. He asked me if I was running and I said I was just there to watch. He asked me to run and I told him I didn’t bring my tires and tools. He told me he had a set of tires I could use. I told him I’d have to think about it but I really didn’t want to. I wanted to relax and enjoy the show. David with Superchips was there. I forgot his last name. He was a very friendly dude. Jim and David hooked up to my chip and they said they really didn’t see anything. David asked me if I wanted some more power and I said definitely. He wrote the file to the chip and we installed it and he taped it into the computer. David really thought my chip was losing connection and I thought he was right. He filed a notch in the computer housing so the cable for the Flipchip would not interfere with the way the chip seated on the board. He told me to take it down the road. It felt a little rough but when I went to WOT it shut off the engine as before. I drove back and told David it wasn’t any better. He talked to Jim and Jim said to get a single program chip and try it. I asked David if he wanted to ride and he said he would. When they came back with the new chip Jim wanted to drive my car so he and David took off and David had his laptop connected to my car. When they came back Jim got out and I asked him if it shut off and he said no. I asked him how it ran and he said with a big grin, “Oh yeah”. I didn’t tell him I had the 3.90’s. Jim tells me to register and get teched-in. I also had to register for FFW before I could run. It’s good for a year. By the time I got back they had already run one qualifying race for the 03 Cobras. The class was called Cobra Confrontation. I asked Jim to run my car and we didn’t have time to put on his slicks so he ran my F1’s. He spun all the way down the track to a 12.85 at 117.9 mph. When he got back we put on his ET Streets. I’m pretty sure they were the ones he ran against Pete in the 03 Cobra shootout article in MM&FF magazine. I got to park my 03 next to Jim’s. That was pretty cool. My car got a lot of looks. They called the last round for the 03’s. I lined up and had a real good pass going until I shifted from second into fifth and ran a 12.5 pass. I was sick. When I pulled around to get my time slip the tech guys stopped me. They asked me where my headlight was. I told him I ran without it. A big tech dude walks up and said to eliminate this car. I drove off. I was a little upset since it cost me $135 to run. When I got back Shawn was just behind me after his pass and I looked and he had his headlight out. I asked him if they eliminated him and he said no. He told me not to worry about it and Jim would take care of it. Sure enough Jim told me I was in for Sunday. I left my car next to Jim’s 03 all night at the track. On Sunday the 03’s ran first. They lined us up and they wrote a 12.41 on my window. That’s when I got sick. I knew it was bracket racing. I wanted to show how good my car would run. F8tlbite showed up for Sunday’s race. They matched him up against me and his dial-in was 11.50. I told him I wasn’t going to run a 12.41 and that I was going to be eliminated on the first pass. I didn’t really care about the win. Tommy and I lined up and I clicked off my best pass ever in the 1/4 and recorded my best 1/8 along the way. Here are the numbers:

Tommy told me it was 100 degrees in the pit. The track seemed a little slick past the 60 foot mark. I know the car will run better. I had also filled up 20 miles from the track on the way there and it was 93 octane. I had no room for race gas. I’m pretty sure on a 1/8 tank with 100 octane I may have gotten in the 11.20’s. I also really took my time getting the 2-3 shift right this time. I didn’t want to blow it on my only pass. JDM and David got this chip right. This car hauls with the new program from JDM. It’s a 10 second car on the right track in cool air. I’m designing and machining my own pulley system, throttle body and chiller for the intercooler. I made my own CAI and idler pulley. I think Jim liked them. He really looked them over. I think I can get this thing to run pretty good. Mark and I went to Compucar’s booth and we both got talked into buying a NOS system in a bag. It comes with 5 jets. I think I’ll make one slightly smaller than the smallest one in the kit and use it to dyno first to see what I’m getting than step up. I doubt I’ll go over a 40 shot.

I got to meet a lot of 03 owners. I’m sorry but I forgot a lot of the names. I met Tommy of course. I also got to meet a really nice dude on this board that goes by Predator. I also enjoyed talking to a guy from Florida that has a sonic blue 03. I forgot his name but he has some nice mods. We also talked to the 03 owner with the KB and the smiley face on his pulley. I met Anthony from JDM who I’ve talked to a few times on the phone along with Jim and Shawn. I will do 100 percent of my business with JDM in the future. These guys want to get your car to run. David had an 01 Cobra there. It had twin turbos and dynoed 600 rwhp. He said it would push 900. It had a built bottom end with 9:1 compression running 6 psi I think. The car had an 03 front bumper and engine hood. It was one nice car. I'd swap.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Silver03Snake.....it was really great to meet you this weekend. I am sorry I was not able to get my car to be a little more competitive, but I did learn a lot. No mods and first time at the track with the car. I could not get the F1s to hook and finally put on DRs Sat. That was good for .5 off my times. My clutch got a bit overheated during a test run and I couldn't go out for the final rounds on Sun. I will be making the necessary changes to fix that problem. I met a lot of 03 Cobra and Lightning guys too. Great bunch with some impressive machines. I look forward to seeing everyone again soon. Next time I will look forward to seeing a few more Cobras in the field.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Silver03Snake said:
We also talked to the 03 owner with the KB and the smiley face on his pulley
I was the lowly GT owner with Jason. (SN - Unclebenz)
Nice meeting ya.

Nice run BTW, we were looking out for you.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was nice meeting and talking to yall. Hope yall come to Bristol when they have the FFW in August. I will be there. I'm not sure if they'll run the Cobra Confrontation there or not.

I didn't know this class paid $1000 to win in VA. I still would have ran the same. My 12.41 dial in was based on tires and crappy driving. I think I have this figured out. You want to qualify as fast as you can on Saturday and then run only as fast as you need on Sunday to reduce the danger of breaking out.

I measured the jets and I figured out the number of the jet is the bore size in thousandths. The smallest is .039. I'm going to see what the area size of each is and see if they are proportional to each other. I'm thinking I'll make one around .025-.031 to start and then bump up a littel on the dyno. I'm afraid of ebineg a little lean. That's the condition we were working on when I got the bad chip. I think I'll dyno it the way it is and then if I'm a little lean I can take my 9 in conical and shield out and put the Densecharger on and maybe richen it up a little. I guess as long as the A/F is fine with spray then it's safe.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
I am glad that you guys had a good time and ran so well! Congrads.

I told Jim D'Amore a week ago that I couldn't be there because my tune wasn't right yet.

But I heard that the 03 Cobra turnout was a HUGE disappointment even though many said they would be there. Was everyone having tuning problems?

The talk around the camp fire is that 03 Cobra's are 'keyboard racers' and won't be asked back to an event like that.

BUMMER!!

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
The talk around the camp fire is that 03 Cobra's are 'keyboard racers' and won't be asked back to an event like that.

We do need to get more 03's to the track...I have an Idea:rolleyes:

CLOSE ALL THE DYNO"S :D

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Jim Vaccaro said:
We do need to get more 03's to the track...I have an Idea:rolleyes:

CLOSE ALL THE DYNO"S :D
But what is the solution for the people who don't dyno OR RACE?

How about close all the sites and firewall all the IGMP packets out of the Internet (AIM, IRC, etc.)??

;)

·
Registered
309 Posts
So how many 03's actually ran at Virginia? It is sad that not many show up to the events to run. It felt that way at WFC. I wonder what the turnout will be at the Modular Shootout. Unfortunately, I can't make that event. I will be in Vegas for a business meeting that weekend.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Nice times man....congrats

What size ET streets were you running? I assume some 26x10.5x15 or 16's??

I need to ditch my F1's and get some meats.

I miss living down in the lower 48 where I could go to the FFW's with my buddy's. I should be moving back down again next year from alaska is all goes well, then I can start to mingle again with all you guys.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
There were nine running in all including me and I didn't know they were going to run the 03's and Tommy (F8tlbite) showed up on Sunday. Predator didn't run on Sunday because his clutch quadrant needs replacing. Jim talked me into running. If I had known I would have taken my tires, tools and helmet. I had to borrow everything. It was embarrassing. Everyone were super nice and went out of their way to help. They say they will run in Dallas and in Pasadena. We were hoping they would run in Bristol next month. I really enjoyed myself.

broke7, I ran Jim's Et Streets. I think they were the ones he ran on his vert against NP in the MM&FF 03 shootout. They were 26x11.5-16's on Wweld Pro Star XP 16x8 wheels. I run the 10.5's. I think when they are gone I'll get the 11.5's. They look a little better.

I have a few pics I'm going to post on SVTPerf around Jim's truck and tent. I was told you can upload pics on that site. Not sure about this site. I don't have any web space.

Maybe catch yall in Bristol.

·
Registered
250 Posts
It was disappointing that more 03s did not show. I was expecting quite a few more by all the chatter on the boards. Silver03Snake says nine, but I only saw five total everytime we lined up.....and one in the car show. As a matter of fact I showed up Friday to get a few runs in, including the first qualifying round, and was a little worried when I was all by myself. I think that Rich and Jimmy have the right idea! It was my first time out with my car. I decided I was going to have fun and take the opportunity to meet a few of you. I learned a lot. With no mods yet I learned that the quadrant and firewall adjuster is probably one of the first I need. I had too many problems with the clutch heating up and Sunday it took me out just before the final rounds began. Bummer!! I did have a great time. If I could swing it I would be at every event.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I remember at least 6 03's running on sunday when they called out "cobra confrontation."
I was back and forth on sat, so Im not sure of the #.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They had 8 lined up for the first round Sunday. The website said 1/4 finals make $50. I guess I shold have won $50. I wouldn't have asked anyway with all the generosity given to me. I got way more in advance. After Saturday I wasn't too happy spending $135 and really not getting to see or enjoy anything. But, blasting to that pass and breaking out by over one second was well worht plus for the 300 mile drive I have a damn good chip pending an A/F run on the dyno. I want to get my chiller done and my spray hooked up before I go so I can test a few things.

We are running at Farmington this Thursday where I hold the track record with a 1.159 60 ft'er ;) . It is the best hooking track around. I'd sure like to throw down a 7.1x.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts