Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Billet Flow TB and idle issue

Hey guys,

I'm pulling my hair out trying to get car to idle right after installing the Billet Flow TB. First, the car idled fine with the stock TB in place and there was no problem with a hanging idle either. However post install my car idle hangs at 1100-1200 rpm before very slowly dropping to about 900. I tried everything and this is this even after having Billet Flow re-work it for a sticking blade and new spring.
I reset the computer several times and each time after resetting it I drove it about 50 miles and made several on-off restarts. Even after having the battery disconnected over night and trying it all over again I still have the same problem as stated above.

As for existing mods pre/post install I have the Magnaflow catted x-pipe, and Steeda/Borla cat-back. Please help, I already sent e-mails to Billet Flow and JDM (retailer) because I'm afraid that my only remaining option is to ask for a refund. The part is so cool looking and definitely works under other than idle conditions so it would be great if I didn't have to return. Besides it's a pain in the you know what to re-install the stock part just to replace it later with something else.

Thanks,
Arthur

·
Night Trains Daddy
1,569 Posts
There have been several of these problems reported but it seems they think it is not the TB...I would go over the install process again and make sure everything is right. If that doesn't fix it perhaps a replacement or refund would be in order.

Good Luck

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I spent the better part of this weekend doing it all over step by step. I'll give it one more shot after PGA golf and NASCAR. If I still have no luck I'll just throw in the towel. Too bad because mine is one of the original TB's with the COBRA logo.

Arthur

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Arthur,
I replied to this post on SVTPerformance. You might have already done the things that I recommended, but give the procedure a try if you haven't.:)

G

·
Dont give up...just be patient... I am sure Doug will have a fix for everyone. He is one of the best out there to figure this out. I know he will. Again...just please give Doug a chance to help everyone out.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Larry. I tried something similar to what you suggested but still no luck and I was rewarded with a trouble code P1536.

HotRodHarry, I have no doubt that Doug is the best man for the job; however I'm rapidly losing my patience with this thing. A basic bolt-on really shouldn't require this much effort or science to install. I'm taking it off and replacing the stock TB. Perhaps the problem will get sorted out and I truly hope it does because it is a sharp piece of work but I'm no longer willing to be a "field" tester. I bought this car to enjoy not to labor over.

Arthur

·
Registered
325 Posts
I started mine up this morning and noticed that she is idling a little high today, so I checked the idle screw, and I noticed there was a gap in between the screw and stopping tab. When I turned the switch off; the gap closed. What is causing this? I noticed when I manually closed it; the rpms goes back to 750. So what do I need to do to get this straightened out? Anyone care to step to the plate?

Doug, Rick, Pete, Harry? Anyone? :)

G

·
Roushraven

You are in no way a "field" tester.

It's not:

The IAC
The TPS
The stop screw
The tolerances
vacuum leaks
spring
epoxy-like sealant
white jacket
shiny clasps
or Toad juice

We believe WE HAVE found the problem and a fix. I will not go into it right now, I will however say it has something to do with vacuum (but not a vacuum leak!). Vacuum is sucking the butter fly open or rather keeping it open, which I have proven on our test car.

Before you ask, I don't want to go into it right now because it would be conjecture on my part and I would rather wait till I knew for sure.

I was able to duplicate it here at the shop, We are in Michigan all the cobras are put up for the winter (4 - 5 months) and it's hard to get a car in here to run tests on, you have to remember not everyone is seeing this problem.

Mj: yes the stock tb shuts off completely, But as John said, the oval bore must not, should not, can't,,,,, they will stick!

but the problem lies somewhere else, trust me on this.

We have a test tb that we will be NEXT DAY AIRING out to a well known tuner for his testing, if he agrees it is fixed then I will know exactly what to do.

Remember guys, the car is new. We are on the cutting edge.

These cars have been on the road for what , about 6 -7 months.
This is the only "bug" and we believe we have the fix.

The internet is as fast as light, UPS is a bit slower. Give me a few days to send the text TB down to the tuner.

After I get conformation from the tuner, I will know exactly what to do.

But I can't do anything till then, again, please give me a couple days.

·
Registered
309 Posts
MineralGray03 said:
I started mine up this morning and noticed that she is idling a little high today, so I checked the idle screw, and I noticed there was a gap in between the screw and stopping tab. When I turned the switch off; the gap closed. What is causing this? I noticed when I manually closed it; the rpms goes back to 750. So what do I need to do to get this straightened out? Anyone care to step to the plate?

Doug, Rick, Pete, Harry? Anyone? :)
It sounds as if the return spring is not strong enough to maintain closed throttle when at idle. People who have purchased the older 65mm BBK throttle body had the same concerns. Some of them just bought another return spring.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
(Re-post from svtperformance.com)
Thank you for the response Doug, the frustration got the best of me for sure. Anyway, I literally just got off the phone with Jim at JDM before reading this and have accepted his offer to help me out. He's sending me a replacement unit.

I hope it goes well for you because the workmanship/finish of the part is great.

Arthur

·
Registered
325 Posts
Doug;

No problem bubba. I was just wondering if you had found out anything, yet, and mine is in the garage for the winter. I have to say; you put out a great looking part, and I love the throttle response. Well, let us know and keep up the great work.
:)

Chet

G

·
lguerra1 said:
It sounds as if the return spring is not strong enough to maintain closed throttle when at idle. People who have purchased the older 65mm BBK throttle body had the same concerns. Some of them just bought another return spring.
I will have to say it again..

it is NOT a spring tension issue, adding a spring will not solve the problem!

PLEASE give me a couple days.

Doug
BilletFLow

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have to agree with Doug on this issue becuase it will take a stiff spring to take care of this issue.
I believe it does have to deal with vacuum because when I turn the ignition off and watch the gap; it closes slowly as it was releasing vacuum.
So, lets give Doug a chance to work this one out. What do you say ladies and gents?:)

Chet

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Doug-- sorry to bother again but one quick question. What would you recommend for the people that have a TB on the way? Should we put them on and wait for the fix or are you going to need the TB's back so you can modify them? Thanks for your help.

G

·
update

It appears that I have found the problem and along with it, the fix. It was confirmed by Joe at Mustang Magic.

I will post here, on Thursday, what the fix is and how I will go about fixing the remainder of the TB's I have in stock as well as any ones TB's in the field which needs the fix….fix

I am a bit of a perfectionist and this bothers me more then you know. I am very sorry for any troubles this may have caused anyone and I will try my best to make it right.

Doug
BilletFlow

·
Registered
550 Posts
Doug, I just got mine yesterday, looks awesome! I have no problem waiting for the fix, my Cobras been in and out of the dealer for almost a month straight.

Thanks for your commitment to excellent customer service and product backing! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts