Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After almost 2 months of reading all the opinions and rumors over which pump works, which pump doesn't, and which pump is a clone, I've almost lost my mind.

Meanwhile, i've got a Supercharged 99 GT sittin in my garage that I dont get to drive, because I cant figure out which pump to go with. The Walbro that I was told to buy crapped out on day 1. Since then, I've been trying to research for answers.

Here's what I THINKI I've learned....I need answers from knowledgable people please.

1. 03 Cobra Pump/Tank- I guess this is everyone's guess as the best fix for the problem. Although, I'd love to buy it, its hard to shell out yet another $600-$700 if there is something else out there that would help me out.

2. Steeda Dual Pump- This is probably the one, I know the least about, but my best friend has installed this on his 00 SC Saleen w/ roots style blower, and it has performed well. Is it basically 2 stock ford pumps?

3. Walbro 255- Once again, I was told by a reputable tuner to purchase this pump for my application. But like I said.....the car would surge REAL BAD and "whine", until it crapped out. After talking w/ SHM, they told me to NEVER use a Walbro, on a returnless?

4. Chicane- This seems to be One of the hotter topics on all modular forums, I'm not asking if someone else makes it, or clones it, Or who sells it for cheapest, I'd just really like to know if it PERFORMS well. I had actually made the decision to purchase this pump, until all of the recent posts. I'm looking for assurance that its a good choice.

Sorry for the long post, I'm just getting SO frustrated at this point.
I live in Oklahoma, and there arent any "MODULAR SPECIFIC" tuners within 3 or 4 hours of here. I've talked to SO MANY shops, including B&R Performance, RFFPerformance, S.H.M, and even Dennis Reinhart himself.

I hate for this to be my first post....but I am in desperate need of help. So...with that said....any help, or insight would be SO greatly appreciated. Mods, and Dyno #'s are in my sig.

Thanks,
Tatro

·
Registered
113 Posts
i'm not sure what your budget is,but if you are really serious about making big safe HP convert to a return system!I know it's a PIA ,but you do it right Once and your done!Then you will be able to make all the HP your little Motor can handle!
Kaz...........:cool:

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
I agree with Kaz, at least in my situation. When I am able to afford a bottom end buildup to push more power I will go returnless. Right now I am using the 03 pump in my 01 tank. From daily driving to making passes at the strip it has worked flawless so far. The only precaution I take is to fill up the gas tank when my gas reads a 1/4 tank. When using the 03 pump without the 03 tank it won't pick up fuel below the 1/4 tank mark. I chose not to install the 03 tank because I knew I would go returnless in the future.

From what I understand (and I could be wrong), The returnless setup will only cost you a little more than doing an 03 pump along with an 03 tank. I guess it all depends on how you design the returnless. My suggestion would be to go with either the returnless or the 03 pump and tank based on what you can afford, and your future goals for the car.

Razor.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I've heard good things about the Steeda setup.I have't had first hand experience with it,but I haven't heard any complaints about it ..

I would probably contact Steeda(if it were me) and talk to them.They can tell you what HP levels they have obtained using thier pump.
Walbro is junk man,I hate that you bought one..But its proved to be junk as always.
Guys,a return style isnt in his budget.Besides,damn nitrous pete just made 730rwhp on a returnless,kinda puts the theory of return/returnless out the window.I believed like ya'll do until I saw Pete's numbers.
Obviously the cobra setup would be the best 99bringit,but I think the Steeda will do for your setup..Call them man....:)

Tim

·
Registered
113 Posts
Is Pete's daily driven.Im sure you can make anything work once or twice but day after day ,hot or cold you can't beat a PROVEN Return System.You might get lucky,but I know what works.
Kaz.................: :cool:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
His is a streetcar..Just went [email protected] on ET streets and IRS..The car made 790rwhp and weighs 3900#'s.
Dont get me wrong,Im a hard core believer in the returnstyle.But Pete is proving its not the only way to go.

Tim

·
Registered
113 Posts
Street car?Can he drive it cross country on pump gas?Thats a street car!I know he just ran a low 10 and thats great!But how streetable is his car?790rwhp is great to lets see how long it stay together.Not to bash or flame anyone ,but if it was so easy there would be 100 new Cobra's do that!
Kaz.................;)

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Streetable is in the eye of the owner.;) My car with its power,spool,no A/C and a full cage is a street car to me.I can drive it on pump gas.Just cant waste ricers with 93 octane in it.:D

Yours done yet?

Tim

·
Registered
113 Posts
I WISH!I would'nt be bench racing on here I'd be out getting Speeding tickets!LOL!!!:D
CK,
your can sounds like a Race car with a Plate to me;)
Kaz...............

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just bought the 03 Cobra tank and pump; I think this is the best way to go. It has the best drivability of all of the choices you listed and can support the most rear wheel horsepower. Also, Areomotive is coming out with a digital FMU that will work with the return less system. I believe if you combine this to the 03 Cobra tank/pump setup you can easily support 750 - 800 rear wheel horsepower. Even without it, the Cobra setup has supported over 550 rear wheel horsepower.

Derrick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ordered the 03 Cobra Pump/Tank from my local Ford Dealership. They told me $840 all together at first...but after telling him what I've seen some people pay for it here, and other boards, he quickly said they'd do it for $648. :D so I did the deal.

Thanks for everyone's help.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Timothy Mace said:
Can anyone tell me if it is cheaper to buy the cobra pump and tank separate or together and whatelse would I need to put it on a 99 gt
I'm sure it's the same price if oyu buy them seperate or at the same time. That should be all you need, it's pretty much plug and play.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have a couple of focus pumps in my tank... I got lucky because I paid a whopping $239 at the dealer. :beerchug: But then again, I ordered 4 sets of those SVT Focus pumps......so I had a nice deal.

On a side note, I have a walbro on my 00 Mustang.. ZERO issues in the 17 months it's been in so far.

I'm going to stay returnless with my car. I already know of 9 or so people that are running 450~500rwhp without any issues using a KB blower and being a daily driver. I do understand that at around 650+700 hp, the fuel line starts to get to be too small to allow enought fuel flow and the pumps work harder to maintain the pressure because of this. My goal is to have around 550rwhp with a 2.2L KB, so I should be all good.

On a side note, I'm going with the Cobra R tank... or that size,...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts