Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Dan Hourigan, and I work for Dynojet Research in Las Vegas. In my spare time I run Total Performance Solutions, where I specialize in Ford EFI calibrations via Autologic. About a month ago, I found out about the new upper intake plenum from C&L, and asked them if I could test it out on my supercharged 2000 GT. They sent me the plenum and a 75mm BBK throttle body, as this is the combo that generated the most airflow through the plenum during their flowbench testing. Using all the data logging equipment at my disposal, I wanted to find out EXACTLY how much power this plenum was good for on my vehicle. I did 4 baseline pulls, and the results were consistently within +/- 2 HP of each other. After installing the plenum and doing several pulls, the dyno showed consistent improvements of between 15-20 HP, pretty much throughout the entire pull (blower car). These HP improvements were not the result of a drastic change in the air/fuel ratio, as they were within +/- .1-.2 of a ratio of each other. This means that I did NOT change the tune of the chip to accomodate the plenum, as it was not necessary. I provided these results to C&L, and they listed it on their website as an independent test. The dyno scans (with air/fuel numbers) can be found at the following link... http://www.cnlperformance.com/plenum07.html
As an employee of Dynojet, I have no affiliation with C&L. I have tested this product thoroughly, and based upon my experience, this item is all that C&L represents it to be. There have been several posts questioning the need for a bigger throttle body, and even one person who installed the plenum and dyno tested it with the stock throttle body. Based upon all of the testing that has been performed, the 75mm TB IS the best way to go for both flow on the bench and power on the dyno. Even on mildly modified and stock natually aspirated vehicles.
The person who tested the new plenum with the stock throttle body saw big gains in the low-mid RPM's due to the fact that the throttle body size (and engine airflow demand in the lower RPMs) is not that great. However, in the upper RPMs the peak gain was limited by the throttle body. This test has led many to believe that the new plenum is only or primarily benficial in the low to mid RPMs. This simply is not true. Look at MY dyno results. Once this person installs a 75mm throttle body, it would not be un-realistic to expect that he will receive at least an additional 4 rear wheel horsepower over the stock one. It has been posted that he intends to do this, so we will all see in due time...

I don't sell parts, I'm just an enthusiast sharing my experience and results, take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Thanks for the info. We have sent quite a bit of time talking with Lee Bender of C&L and he stated up front that his intake was specifically designed to be used with an aftermarket TB. Just like putting together a combination that works, the parts need to be matched. Over time, more and more people will have dyno results from matched combos with this intake.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Who needs a new upper intake when you got a KB or Eaton blower? I wolnt :D ! Got the go ahead for the KB from the wife. Havent ordered yet though :rolleyes:

·
Registered
802 Posts
stanggt00 said:
Who needs a new upper intake when you got a KB or Eaton blower? I wolnt :D ! Got the go ahead for the KB from the wife. Havent ordered yet though :rolleyes:
Congratulations! Better start saving for some of this stuff! Well, maybe not the cams but you know what I mean!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts