Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was installing my new K & N aircharger today (pics to follow in their own thread) when I dropped a bolt that ran under the car.

I look under for the bolt and see a little puddle under the center section, maybe 4-5 inches in diameter.

I jacked up the car and there appears to be leakeage out of the seal between the rear cover and the center section housing.

It doesn't appear tht anything is broken??? Why would it start leaking now? I heard of a case porosity leakage issue, but it doesn't seem that it would take over a year to show up?

Anyway, who thinks removing and re sealing the cover will fix the problem?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have not had the experience, but I recently read over on Svtperformance.com where there has been a rash of cases like this. You might have already taken a look. I don't think that a leak like that leaves much choice.

·
Registered
226 Posts
That should be a warranty item JT. I would take it in and get it fixed by Marple Ford.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I've wondered before how this happens, when there isn't any sign of damage otherwise. Is the sealant used just inadequate or poor quality? JT let us know what you decide to do.

Bill

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
I wonder if pressure in the pumpkin causes the seal to break if there is a slight defect in the diff cover. I know that, on live axle cars, jacking the car up on the center section can cause the same thing. But it's definately a known issue with 03 Cobras.

Like Dave said, it's a warranty issue, JT.

·
Registered
309 Posts
JT

It is a fairly common concern. If you look at the design of the pumpkin, the rear cover helps support the load. This was never a problem with older T-birds and Mark 8's. But they didn't have the torque these things put out either. I think it is a combination of the design, using tires that bite, and the big torque numbers these things put out. Not to mention, you could just have one that when putting it together, they went thin on the sealer.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm wondering if i should just remove and reseal, or replace the rear cover?

It looks like a pain to get off, and I'm thinking that it is aluminum and aluminum is very susceptible to fatigue. Before it dissintegrates into 1000 pcs, maybe I should just get a new cover?

JT

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
JT said:
I'm wondering if i should just remove and reseal, or replace the rear cover?

It looks like a pain to get off, and I'm thinking that it is aluminum and aluminum is very susceptible to fatigue. Before it dissintegrates into 1000 pcs, maybe I should just get a new cover?

JT
The upgraded Cast Alum covers on the Solid Axle cars replace Stamped Steel covers.
The Cast Alum covers are Strong..They don't warp easily.
I would re seal it..
Mine leaks a few drops intermitantly.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I think I'm going to remove and reseal. Next question, what gear lube should I put in this thing?

How much does it hold.

Any thoughts appreciated.

JT

·
Registered
309 Posts
I would stick with the stock fluid. It is a synthetic SAE 75W-140. Or you can use any other brand syn lube. The rear holds between 2.6-2.9 pints. Make sure to add some friction modifier, 4oz bottle.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Mine started leaking right at the 1000 mile mark. I took the car in for that leak and the 85+MPH vibe. They replaced the whole pumpkin and the D/S. I'm now starting to see a little fluid collecting at the bottom of the cover again... I read somewhere that the stock aluminum cover is very porous and doesn't seal well.

Additionally, don't even think about trying to find an aftermarket replacement cover for the stock aluminum unit. As far as I know no one makes an 8.8 girdle for 99+ IRS Cobra's.

U.M.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Mine had same problem at about 6000+ (now at 10000+) it was warranty repair except the dealer charged me $89 to remove and replace cat back exhaust (bassani).

·
Registered
374 Posts
HAMMER said:
I wonder if pressure in the pumpkin causes the seal to break if there is a slight defect in the diff cover. I know that, on live axle cars, jacking the car up on the center section can cause the same thing. But it's definately a known issue with 03 Cobras.

Like Dave said, it's a warranty issue, JT.
When I had my IRS out I noticed what looked like a breather tube coming from the top of the differential. If that was the case there shouldn't be too much internal pressure. I think the cause might be the diff case twisting under hard acceleration.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts