Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of MM coil overs in the rear with the stock billstein shocks. All the sudden, i notice a noise at take off... once i get to the higher RPM's and faster MPH it goes away. It sounds like something is caught maybe in the suspension travel. Today I inspected the halfshafts, and wheel hubs, took off the tires and spacers etc.. Nothing looked or sounded abormal. I do have a delrin IRS complete bushing kit which makes the ride a bit rougher, and backseat delete, which makes things a tad bit louder. Any ideas? I cant figure it out?! :mad2:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Check For Loose Bolts, I.e. The Whole Rear End.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I can tell you from 5+ years of rear coil-over use on my 99 Cobra, that its probably the cir-clip that holds the cup up to the top mount. I went through 3 sets of Bilstein shocks with MM coil-overs until I finally had enough and switched to H&R race springs.

What happens is the top nut is either too tight (causes the cir-clip to spread) or too loose (causes banging around sound) and either problem will result in the cir-clip breaking and the shock riding free with no top mount. In the trunk, take of the side pieces off and look at the top nut of the shock. I'd be willing to bet that its protruding through too far and your shock is toast.

I can post picture from home later if you need some ...

·
Registered
124 Posts
I can tell you from 5+ years of rear coil-over use on my 99 Cobra, that its probably the cir-clip that holds the cup up to the top mount. I went through 3 sets of Bilstein shocks with MM coil-overs until I finally had enough and switched to H&R race springs.

What happens is the top nut is either too tight (causes the cir-clip to spread) or too loose (causes banging around sound) and either problem will result in the cir-clip breaking and the shock riding free with no top mount. In the trunk, take of the side pieces off and look at the top nut of the shock. I'd be willing to bet that its protruding through too far and your shock is toast.

I can post picture from home later if you need some ...
I'd be interested in the pictures.

·
Registered
25 Posts
+1 on the clips i broke one of mine and it made a lot of noise.

Also try getting the car up in the air and the jack wheels up to ride height. (you may want to do this one wheel at a time so you car doesn't try to fall on you like mine did) then look to see if your spring could be contacting the inner fender liner. When my suspension was fully extended the spring was getting loose enough to bang against the inner fender and make a clunk. You can easily beat some clearence into the inner fender with the coil-over assembly removed.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I want to make it clear that this is NOT an MM problem. I think they make great products. It is a Bilstein problem. When Bilsteins are used in a coilover application.

Here are some pics of the damage:

See the groove where the cir-clip "used" to be?

Loose driver side coilover.

Normal passenger side. Also note the custom rear shock tower brace:

·
Registered
124 Posts
thanks for posting the pics, i'll have to check mine out

1 - 7 of 7 Posts