Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

In an effort to do this "on the cheap" (I'm gonna have to postpone going with a coil-over set up for now), I want to install the coupe's rear springs on my 'vert.

Here's where the fun begins: I called the dealer to get a price on the rear springs for the coupe, and he asked me what the code was. He stated that he showed at least three different spring codes for the coupe! He wanted me to give him the build date (from the door), or a spring code (from the spring).

How many different rear springs are offered by Ford, for the same body style (the coupe)? What are the differences?

TIA,
FF

·
Pushrod Dinosaur
1,006 Posts
here's the list: lol one of them is vert and the other two are coupe

2R3Z-5560-AA Genuine Ford 2003 Cobra rear spring code (ACR) $ 45.99 ea.

2R3Z-5560-BA Genuine Ford 2003 Cobra rear spring code (BCR) $ 45.99 ea.

3R3Z-5560-AA Genuine Ford 2003 Cobra rear spring code (RER) $ 45.99 ea.

they can be identified by a colored piece of tape on the spring also. i believe that most of the coupes have purple tape on them. if you have access to a coupe, check the color on their springs and then ask your parts dude to get you the appropriate color. You might need the shocks too cuz i think they are valved differently.

gary

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I had 2R3Z-5560-AA ACR on my coupe and the tag is purple. My car was one of the first I bought it a year ago.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
SVTyballz said:
here's the list: lol one of them is vert and the other two are coupe

2R3Z-5560-AA Genuine Ford 2003 Cobra rear spring code (ACR) $ 45.99 ea.

2R3Z-5560-BA Genuine Ford 2003 Cobra rear spring code (BCR) $ 45.99 ea.

3R3Z-5560-AA Genuine Ford 2003 Cobra rear spring code (RER) $ 45.99 ea.

they can be identified by a colored piece of tape on the spring also. i believe that most of the coupes have purple tape on them. if you have access to a coupe, check the color on their springs and then ask your parts dude to get you the appropriate color. You might need the shocks too cuz i think they are valved differently.

gary
Cool! Thanks!

...but do you know what the difference is between them? What is Ford trying to fix by offering three different springs. I HAVE to assume they have different spring rates, or are they adjustements to ride height.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
toofast4u said:
I had 2R3Z-5560-AA ACR on my coupe and the tag is purple. My car was one of the first I bought it a year ago.
You're prolly thinkin' (as I am now), why not just go coil-overs?

This is back to my question from the bushings thread.

1. Would it be THAT bad to just do coil-overs in the rear first?

2. Since my car is a daily driver, I think D/R's would be out of the question.

...anyone? Anyone?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
4sfed said:
You're prolly thinkin' (as I am now), why not just go coil-overs?

This is back to my question from the bushings thread.

1. Would it be THAT bad to just do coil-overs in the rear first?

2. Since my car is a daily driver, I think D/R's would be out of the question.

...anyone? Anyone?
1. I don't think it will be bad depending on what spring rate you go with. You need to call MM and see what they recommend probably around a 550 or 575 with 00R shocks would be good.

2. My car is a daily driver and I have Nitto 315 555R and over 3k miles and they are great.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
toofast4u said:
1. I don't think it will be bad depending on what spring rate you go with. You need to call MM and see what they recommend probably around a 550 or 575 with 00R shocks would be good.

2. My car is a daily driver and I have Nitto 315 555R and over 3k miles and they are great.
Didn't you go with 625 in the rear? Why would you recommend me not going with that?

Also, (potential stupid question coming, but I have to ask) how are the 555R's in the rain?

Thanks man! You're an incredible resource! YOU ROCK! :blob

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
4sfed said:
Didn't you go with 625 in the rear? Why would you recommend me not going with that?

Also, (potential stupid question coming, but I have to ask) how are the 555R's in the rain?

Thanks man! You're an incredible resource! YOU ROCK! :blob
Actually my rear are 8" 650 Ibs/in springs. I like mine the only problem is they are considered a race weight spring. The match is a 425 Ibs/in front coil-over spring which will require race-spec struts which cost over 500/pair.

I have no problems with the 555R in the rain and actually think they have very good traction as long as you're not careless. I have had to many bad experiences with my 95 Cobra which was highly modded and didn't like any sub optimum road conditions at all. Have I said lately this car is a far departure from previous mustang suspensions? So out of habit I drive like an old lady in the rain and almost never go over 60 mph in any Mustang. As far as I am concerned I would rather take another hour to get somewhere in sub optimum conditions to keep from standing looking at my car in the wall.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
toofast4u said:
Actually my rear are 8" 650 Ibs/in springs. I like mine the only problem is they are considered a race weight spring. The match is a 425 Ibs/in front coil-over spring which will require race-spec struts which cost over 500/pair.

I have no problems with the 555R in the rain and actually think they have very good traction as long as you're not careless. I have had to many bad experiences with my 95 Cobra which was highly modded and didn't like any sub optimum road conditions at all. Have I said lately this car is a far departure from previous mustang suspensions? So out of habit I drive like an old lady in the rain and almost never go over 60 mph in any Mustang. As far as I am concerned I would rather take another hour to get somewhere in sub optimum conditions to keep from standing looking at my car in the wall.
So (before I talk to MM) what would YOU recommend for a 'vert?

Excellent! Thanks for the info on the 555's! THAT'S what I'm gonna go with!

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
4sfed said:
So (before I talk to MM) what would YOU recommend for a 'vert?

Excellent! Thanks for the info on the 555's! THAT'S what I'm gonna go with!
Ok here is what I am thinking. We know that verts are heavier then coupes, but if you put coupe springs in a vert the rear of the vert will sit higher. The question is where is the additional weight located which at first you would think towards the rear of the car due to the top, but the situation stated earlier would not support that assumption if that was the case it would sit lower. I think most of the weight is in frame support between the front and rear wheels. So if this is correct then any spring in the rear of a vert will be stiffer in comparision. I really like my combination and would recommend it to any coupe owner. I would suggest either going with the rate I am using or ask MM for the equivalent for a vert. Ride quality will be slightly stiffer then stock equivalent to a BMW M3 and Z-06. If you only do the rear you will definitely eliminate all understeer, but might induce some oversteer which can be adjusted some by ride height.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts