Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking of going with eaton 31 spline unit with superior or moser axles to match, anybody use this set up or can recommend a better set up. nothing is broke, i just want to make it stronger before hurting it!!!!!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
yup..31 eaton and superiors...
Still working..........
GI Joe

·
Registered
300 Posts
The only problems we have had with the Eaton or the Auburn , is that they work well for street use , but cannot take the stress of a five speed and slicks for an extended amount of time. The five speed at launch with slicks applies a tremendous amount of unloaded force to the rearend. An automatic car actually has the rear loaded so it doesnt shock it as much. That being said i would run a spool unless it is a daily driver.

·
Registered
138 Posts
So how bad would it be with a spool on a daily driver. I drive 90 miles a day granted they are highway miles but I want a solid rear end this winter. I have never had slicks on my car, it doesn't need them its not that fast. But I might run some ET streets next spring alot:D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
actually my car is an automatic,so that was the reason i thuoght i would be ok. my car isn't my daily driver and only has 29,000 miles on it. i ran a mid 12 with the 125 shot on dr's. the reason i want to upgrade soon is because i'm switching from 3:73's to 4:10's and figured while i'm in there why not do it right. i've never had full slicks on the car,btw don't want to twist the car to much it's also a convertable. i thought spools were only used for race cars.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Spools are mainly for straight line cars. given that you have an automatic I would use the Eaton. My personal car ran 8.70's with 1.29 short times with an Auburn pro. The Auburn however is not as good of a unit as the Eaton.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah, I don't know why these guys are recommending a spool. A spool permanently locks up the rear axles so when you're turning, there's tons of stress on the rear system (and wear on the tires). Spools are designed for cars that drive in a straight line down the track and then straight to the trailer.

You CAN however now get a setup from Auburn that allows you to run a differential on the street, then electronically lockup your axles (like a spool). I'd have run this system, but it came out just after I installed my auburn pro. I can't remember what it's called, but you can surf auburns site and I'm sure it'll be advertised there. It utilizes a magnet to engage a spool type lockup for racing at the track, then disengaging it for normal daily driving and stree use.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I really like the Eaton unit. I used it for 2 years in my 87 LX 393 stroker running 11.00's with no problems. I now use one in my Cobra with 31 spline superiors and have launched it many times at 6800 with no problems.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think I got mine from Drivetrain Direct as a package for around $550 shipped for the axles and eaton.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts