Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone

I finally decided to register here to post this thread. You guys have some great info on this site and most of your cars have many more mods than mine. Some of you may know me from SVT Performance where I post quite a bit.

I had my car in today for the starting out in 1st and sometimes in reverse rear end pop/tink. I see from a search that some of you are familiar with this problem.

One of the guys on SVTP [Chicago Mike] had this same problem and gave me a copy of his invoice where they replaced both hubs and axles to fix the problem. He went for a 50' test drive in my car and told me I had the exact same problem.

So I brought my car in today and after showing the "pop" to the tech, he pulled off the hub cover and we took a look. The teeth inside were worn down [as Mike said his were] and there were metal shavings around the teeth. The tech said this would eventually have resulted in the car being undrivable. The dealer ordered parts and I have to bring it back when they come in.

I called SVT to ask them about this problem and they said Ford was unaware that this was happening. I told the SVT rep that 3 out of 8 '03s at our last meeting had this "pop". He said that Ford needs to hear from '03 owners with this problem before they can address it. I told him I would post about my car and get others with this same problem to call them and let them know so they can see how many of our cars have this problem.

So if you know you have this problem please call SVT [1-800-FORDSVT] and add your car to the list. I know many of our cars have this problem from a poll posted at the other website. Over half the respondees said they have the problem. In my opinion, the teeth wear will worsen with time as mine has gotten louder and is now popping 2 or 3 times instead of just once.

To see if you have the "pop", put your car in reverse and back up for 15 feet or so. Then put it in 1st and take off normally. If the rear end "pops/tinks" you may have this. Or just take the covers off the rear hubs and look at your teeth.

Sorry this turned out so long. Especially for a 1st post. If you do have this problem please call SVT so Ford knows this is more than a few cars. Thanks, everyone.

Cliff

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm a lil mixed up here, are you speaking about the pop, like when you're off the gas, but in gear and you then push on the gas and you hear that lil pop in the back? It happens in all gears in my cobra. thanks

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In mine this pop happens when I start out in first on level ground. I start in 1st and hear a pop or click type sound from my rear end area. Sometimes it does it 2 or 3 times. pop,pop,pop or click,click,click. If I back up first, I hear it nearly every time I use first gear now. It's getting worse. Other guys have said they also can hear it when going into 2nd.

It's not the "turning on an incline rear end pop" that the TSB [retorqueing rear end bolts] is out for.

If you have this pop/click/tink noise it probably started out happening only occasionally and then got progressively more frequent. The best way I've found to tell if you have it is to go back and forth casually in first and reverse a few times.

I'm guessing that the teeth inside the hub are slipping as they wear down, but I don't have the mechanical knowledge to know for sure. My teeth are definitely worn down and there were a lot of metal shavings adhering to them.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I replaced my axle's with DSS stage3 and the problem has been gone ever since. It's been almost 2 years now it's perfect. The problem is in the hub splines and factory axle's there not a perfect fit.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
its a low speed thing. its not really loud enough to hear at anything other than a crawl.

the replacement parts dont seem to suffer from the same problem as the ones used to build the car originally. at least i'm not hearing about (nor have i experienced) the same issue with ford replacement hubs and bearings.

alas the bearings themselves dont last all that long on any corner of a mustang and this model is no exception. many of your cars are probably due. sucks to find out on the alignment rack that your wheel bearings are shot.

jack up under the control arm and see if you can wiggle the wheel and tire assembly at all.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow. My first post on this site. What a blast from the past.

I've had replacement stock half shafts in the car for over two years and the pop/tink has not returned. I do get a little popping now but I think it's bushings and not the half shafts.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Old post but I bet many are still having this problem. The pop or tink only happens when taking off in first or going in reverse and it seems to be the half shafts. Does anyone have anymore info on this subject?

Where can one find some rebuilt or new half shafts for a decent price?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yeah SVT could give to shits at this point, I had the same problem and it was the half shafts they replaced them and it was all good. It seems the splines start to wear and allow some movement you hear it when you first take off. Mine sounds like tink tink tink about 3-4 then it goes quiet.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Ghostbusters
I knew you were going to reply with that! LOL

Couldn't resist. 1800fordsvt like op said.
Don't waste your time calling SVT.
The original date of this thread is 9-8-2003.
Ford didn't want to cover these issues when our cars were under warranty.
They sure won't cover them now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts