Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have already purchased 4.10 gears for my 2003 Mach 1 and I am waiting until I get the rest of my rear-end components to have it installed. In addition to the gears here is what I plan on adding to the rear:

1.) Moser 31 spline forged axles
2.) FRPP 31 spline limited slip differential

My question is are the 31 spline axles and limited slip differential worth the money? Or should I just keep the stock 28 spline axles and limited slip differential? I am shooting for 350-400 rwhp (N/A) and the car will not see an excessive amount of track time and it also has really low miles (less than 20k). So for my goal of 350-400 rwhp would the $500 for the upgraded 31 spline set-up be worth the money or would I be better off just adding the gears to the stock 28 spline rear and just upgrading the bearings, seals, etc?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Yes. Well worth the money. I broke 28 spline ones on second run on drag radials. DO the upgrade

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn. Well I'm glad I asked then. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I'd rather pay a little more now and have the security that everything will hold up than be riding around in a ticking time bomb just waiting for my stockers to give out! So thanks again for the advice!

·
Moving on up...
4,776 Posts
While I would never tell anyone NOT to upgrade...especially if they have the money. BUT! Launching at 350-400 1-2 times a year shouldn't hurt anything. I stress shouldn't...anything can happen at the track. But I ran 450 rwhp on my stock GT rear end...essentially the same 8.8 you have...and never broke a thing.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
60 plus passes on stock axles and 6k launches :) not broken yet....but only 300rw. If your replacing stuff...id go for the upgrade. Im waiting for that day when I snap one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts