Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into rebuilding my Cobra, maybe next winter.. I was wondering what the best bang for the buck rebuild price would be... We have a local shop that I can get to do the Machining, and they have reasonable prices.. I would like to know which components would best suit me.. I am hoping to be building a turbo kit w/ a buddy.. What Compression ratios would you experts recommend?:D I was thinking the typical 8.5:1. I am not building an all-out drag car.. This is my daily driver, But I would like to be able to run in the 10 Sec. zone and still be streetable.

Thanks in advance for any info. I would love to see pics of a Turbo set-up on a modular car if any of you have one.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Most experts say that low comp will not make the power that the higher "stock" type compression blown modulars will. I myself like the idea of running more boost and less compression ~8.5-9.0:1. This gives you more room for error on the tune and I think it would be more forgiving if a fuel pump or something started failing. These things are expensive to build so be sure who ever does it is in the know how. I would reccomend going with a top engine builder such as True Blue Performance, Johnson Motorsports, or MV Performance. I know all 3 of these shops personally and I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.
A rebuild consisting of H-beam rods, J.E., CP or similar pistons; Billet oil pump gears, and ARP fasteners should give your engine what it needs to achieve your goals. Good Luck!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A local guy here is a Ford Tech and he is in the process of putting his 98 Vobra back together. I am waiting to see his results; but more than likely he will be helping me with the build-up. I do want to do some of it myself w/ assistance; just so I can learn. I am not sure what all he is doing, but I know it does consist of ported heads and intake, and SHM blower cams with forged internals. He is planning to run quite a bit of boost. I just hope his combo works good; that way there is less leg-work for me..:D

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm in the same shoes as you Tony, except I'll be removing my motor in the next two weeks to have my block rebuilt. A high 10'sec street car is very feasible, as this is my daily driver at least for a couple more years.

I'm seriously thinking about getting my block done by DSSracing.
I know their 5.0 blocks are nothing less than superb as some of my friends here are using them, i figure i would pay alittle more to have a block that will last for a long time. 96blkcobra is definetly right though, machining is one thing but balancing the block is another so i would make sure they know what they are doing and not using your block as their beta testing. :D

Good luck on the motor Tony...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Call SHM and talk to Scotty!They started the 4v rebuild craze.I had them build me a Billet Race motor.Came with a 12 month 12k warrentee!I don't know of any other builders doing that?Thier stuff cost a little more but no one has built as many high horse power Mod Motors as SHM.
Kaz.........:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
SHM gives a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty on their engines? That is the first I have ever heard of that. I don't know anyone that will stand behind a race engine!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, that is kinda amazing... With that Turbo set-up; are you going to have any accesories?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yep!P/S, A/C,Smog,ect,ect....It supposed to all fit!Had to run a Tubular K-member to get the new 4inch down tube with 3 inch discharge upgrade.Wainting on my Harness a DFI from Jade,then it should be back from the paint shop monday.Filled in all the holes in the firewall and running Hidden wire through out engine compartment.Everything should be back from the polisher's by next week except the new chrome valve covers.Waiting to hear back from him!Intake is a NX getting plumbed for thier Profogger SetUp so it should be one Wild Street Car when ever it's finished!!!!
Kaz.......:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Super Kaz,

You are building one hell of a car. I have to ask what on earth do you do for a living, because I could be a very good apprentice:D

I thought I was spending alot of money on my car; but you have taken it to a whole new level!!

Everything looks really good.

Later.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Super Kaz...

thats a mighty fine motor you got there... :D not to mention the intake. Although i my funds aren't no where close to yours.. :mad:

I thought about about SHM but their prices and HP capabilities didn't quite impress me unless their website isn't up to date. There's a couple people here in hawaii that has a SHM block and was having some issues with it, exactly what i would not know. The motor was purchased a few yrs ago and SHM was having problems of their own. But what do i know.. :rolleyes:

I'll give Scotty a call and see whats up i suppose. Thanks!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have heard Good and Bad about just about every builder out there.I been in the mustang game along time,but was new to Mod motors.I knew SHM had built some of the baddest 4v motors on the planet.I checked around and was vey impressed with the service.It wasn't Cheap,but the Best never is!
What do I do?As little as possible!If I told you I would have to Kill you!LOL!!! ;)
p.s send me your resume,but the my apprentist list is LOOOOOOONG!!!
Kaz.....:cool:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Damn man...I just noticed that you live in Vegas too. Im jealous, you got the life. Well the resume doesn't extend too far. But I am 20 and have 5 years in retail sales and management ( I know that does't sound believable).

Well, keep us updated on the motor. Are you going to take that beast to Modular Shootout? If so what are you going to run?

Thanks,
Ashley

·
Registered
113 Posts
Not sure what class it would be legal for?Should run mid 9's with out the FoggerSystem!I gave up racing car when I sold my OutLaw car.Traveling Cross Country $ucks!I started racing motorcycles got 2 Ducati 748R'S,and a Bad A$$ Pro Street V-rod!Might just Play on my Scooters and Pimp the Saleen Speedster!
Kaz.........:D

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Ok Kaz, youve got my vote for the most pimp stuff! What do I need to do again to work for you b/c it sounds like you are on the right track:D

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Well the little bit of the bike I could see looks very nice. I had a buddy that was on Ducati's pit crew for a little bit (based out of Atlanta / I dont know how many teams or whatever that Ducati has). He said they were alot of fun.

Later.

·
Registered
113 Posts
First things first .Move to Vegas cause if you can't make money here you can't make money anywhere!This town Rocks!!!
Kaz..........:cool:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Agreed on Vegas being the place to be. In all seriousness though, let me know if something comes available in the job market. I am always looking for something to steer me off my path. I have loads upon loads of references!

This post sure is starting to sound like a job interview.

Later,
Ashley

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hehe, No problem w/ Job interviews.. I could use one myself.. If I can ever get the wife away from East Texas... I am a Graphic Designer and it seems to be hard finding a job anywhere!

Thanks for the info Kaz! Now I just gotta get rid of my dually and get the wife and SUV so I can start driving the Cobra full time again.:D

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you don't gamble and stay away from the Titty bars and Dope Vegas is the greatest !If you get caught up in the Wrong groupe of people this town can Eat you up in a week!Believe me I know.Not to preach ,but I used to be a Rock Star" if you know what I mean",and since I gave up my Bad Habbits life has been Very Very Good to me!If any of you ever come to town let me know.I've been here 36 yrs and know ALOT OF GREAT PEOPLE!
Good Luck,
Kaz..........:cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts