Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I understand how to rebuild the clutch packs, and the dissasembly and reasembly of the ring and diff pack, but... Do you have to reshim the ring and diff, back into where it bolts into the rear end?? I tried doing a gear swap before and I don't remember their being shims there. Only in the clutch pack assembly, right??

Also, should I use the thickest shims possible (in the clutch pack assembly), for a real tight preload??

·
Registered
53 Posts
you dont have to mess with the carrier itself at all. just leave it in the housing when you change the clutches.

you can use a thicker shim to tighten up the diff, but if you go too thick youll have trouble getting the cross shaft back in. also, if you go too thick the diff will tend to make noise and act more like a spool.

i went with a shim that is few thousands thicker than what was in there. to get the cross shaft back in we had to pull out slightly on the axles and tap it in with a brass hammer. the diff in my car is pretty tight now, but not so tight that it makes noise. it works perfectly IMO.

hope that helps some.

-Mike

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
No, you do not need to reshim the carrier. Keep the shims oriented to the side they were removed from.

When reshimming the clutch packs, start with the original size shims. You want to be where the small spider gears fit right into place, not loose, not tight. If the shims are too thick they will not go in. If they are too thin, they will be noisy. They being the spider gears.

If you have any more questions, email [email protected], he will help

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I wanted to do the rebuild myself, but I wasn't sure if I was going to need any special tools other than a torque wrench.

So the only shimming will be with the clutch packs, thanks again. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts