Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question if anyone knows on what can be done to reduce the weight of an 03 cobra, if anything. Sure would be nice to get it down to 3300-3400.
Perhaps with reduced weight, stock drive train components will hold up to drag launches, already loosing the stock clutch at 3000 miles.

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
I beleive UPR claims their k-member kit reduces weight by 70lbs, thats a nice place to start :)

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Shadowgray03 said:
I beleive UPR claims their k-member kit reduces weight by 70lbs, thats a nice place to start :)
Seats are a good start also..

·
Registered
42 Posts
dspiel said:
Teach a small child to drive stick shift. 75-100 pounds of weight reduction right there!
o.k. thats just funny:D

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
I believe that there are weights in the cars to keep them from being nose heavy. Can anyone verify this?

Also, put a set of aluminum wheels on it - like Welds or Bogarts. That's good for like 100 lbs.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Blower pulley cover.
As mentioned, the seats are very heavy. They are over 100 lbs total for both.
The wheels and tires are the biggest any Cobra has had, lightweight 17" wheels could save 30-35 lbs.
A solid axle swap will drop around 80 lbs I think.
Rear seat deletes, around 40 lbs with the frame and all.
GT brakes.
Lightweight battery.
Side impact beam removal.
Spare, jack, wrench.
K-member, a-arms, coil-overs.

Never heard of any weights except for the 25 lb weight that older SN95 verts got. I dunno if the new ones get them still.

·
Night Trains Daddy
1,569 Posts
Switching to a solid axle should be about 150lbs or so...plus you'll be able to launch the car :king

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
OK, I guess the 80 lbs is the increase in unsprung weight going to a solid axle. There's an 80 lb number in there somewhere!

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
IWRBB said:
Side impact beam removal.
I was wondering about that! I went that route with other Mustangs in the past. Those impact beams in the doors are HEAVY!

Ain't good to remove them from street cars, cause you are in trouble if you get t-boned on the road. But if you got a rollbar, it's fine to do. And they remove HUGE weight from the car.

I was wondering if those same beams were in the newer cars.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
We hacked my stock mufflers yesterday and installed some straight pipes.

The stock mufflers weigh 13.2lbs a piece. The Differential weight weighs 8 lbs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts