Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now carry a good stock of remanufactured IRS knuckle assemblies for immediate delivery. These fit 1999-2004 Cobra IRS assemblies. A vast majority of problems associated with these are the halfshaft retaining nuts coming loose. Once the nuts work loose, the bearings are no longer pre-loaded and self destruct. Eventually this can lead to damage to the hubs if they are run too long with loose nuts. Keep those halfshaft to hub retaining nuts torqued to 240# - 250# guys!

I will NOT do this exchange program for TSB recalled knuckle assemblies. Here are two photos showing the cross-axis joints on the recalled knuckles. They have no flange and no retaining ring:

Your cross axis joints need to look like this with a flange on the front side and a retaining ring on the back side:

If you have DDS L-5 or Pro-Level halfshafts these OEM style hubs will NOT fit your application. (as you may or may not know) I'm sorry that you wasted your hard earned money on those parts but L-5 halfshafts cause far more problems as they are supposed to solve.

These knuckle assemblies can be bought individually or in pairs. New knuckle assemblies list for $616.63 EACH from Ford as of 4-22-10. As a side note the knuckle assemblies that come from Ford have raw steel hubs with no plating. That is why they rust so horribly as you can see in the photo below. With the new Ford hubs now listing for a whopping $295 each, I will only be reusing salvageable hubs at this time. Approximately 60% of the hubs I receive can be salvaged. The used hubs have been sand blasted, shot peened and olive drab zinc plated. ALL of these units have new FORD tapered roller bearings (do NOT use cheap ball bearings from aftermarket suppliers!!!!) and the cross axis joints have been inspected and are all tight and have good seals. The disc brake shield does not come with these knuckles. You will have to remove your old one and reinstall it on the remanufactured knuckle when you receive it. If you need or want shields I have them for sale.

Here is a before and after photo of the knuckle assembly:

All of the knuckle castings have been glass bead blasted and shot peened.

Prices are with your knuckle returned as a core and I will pay freight for core returns.

Here is a typical remanufactured pair of knuckle assemblies with used olive drab zinc plated hubs, new Ford tapered roller bearing and inspected cross axis joints. $250.00 each exchange, (1999 TSB safety recalled knuckles NOT included) plus shipping:

Here is the proper tool to remove the toe link:

A screw driver or a pry bar and a little force pops the halfshaft right out of the diff:

An axle puller will do a nice job removing the hub from the halfshaft:

Or...... if you don't have the axle puller, a gear or pulley puller will allow you to pull the knuckle assembly off of the halfshaft:

Here is a solo shot of the cleaned up knuckle casting:

When replacing these knuckle assemblies, tighten the new knuckle onto your halfshaft with your old nut. Then remove the old nut and install a new retaining nut and put some red Loc-Tite permanent thread locking compound on it. This will help prevent it from coming loose on you.

Some of the boots on the cross axis-joints have been coming back to me as ripped, torn and damaged beyond repair. I've gotten to the point where I have good joints but no boots for them. We've recently developed a replacement boot so don't be surprised if the knuckles you receive from me have these replacement boots on them. Here is a photo of the replacement boot on a good tight joint:

I can do 3" ARP studs for you if you'd like, add $30 per hub for that.

I can also do new Ford plated hubs as well, add $150 per hub for that. If you want 3" ARP studs in a new Ford plated hub, add $180 each for that. Here is a photo of a pair of knuckles with 3" studs and new plated Ford hubs:

UPS ground shipping anywhere is the US is $20 for one and $30 for two. I can save you a trip to the Ford parts counter and sell you a new Ford halfshaft to hub retaining nut as well for $9.00 each.

If anyone is interested in seeing a video of removing the knuckle from an IRS I finally have finally completed it.

Knuckle/halfshaft removal:

knuckle and halfshaft removal

The above video picks up after the brake removal. For brake video see this Cobra IRS rear brake job:

Cobra IRS rear brake job

E-brake cable removal:

E-brake cable removal

Here is the complete IRS knuckle assembly rebuild process:

Knuckle assembly rebuild

Drop me a PM if you're interested in some of these.

·
Registered
258 Posts
:beer:If any of you IRS guys are thinking about doing any mods to your IRS go with FTBR, I've been using his parts since he started putting this together. I talked with him today and he takes the time to answer any and all questions. Here is to you Bruce thanks for your time and effort.
Greg Scott

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Newsflash!!! This just in!

I can now offer a Pair (only pairs at this time) of NEW NOS Ford OEM knuckle assemblies complete with bearing, hub, cross-axis joints AND all attaching hardware including eccentric cam attaching bolts, lower control arm attaching bolts, halfshaft retaining nuts and more. Cost $695.00 for the pair plus $30.00 shipping. If you have used knuckle cores to return I can offer you $100.00 core refund for the pair and pay for return shipping for you. These new knuckles with core returns would reduce your cost to $645.00 for the pair of new Ford knuckle assemblies. Cores must NOT be the recalled '99 version.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I now carry a good stock of remanufactured IRS knuckle assemblies for immediate delivery. These fit 1999-2004 Cobra IRS assemblies. A vast majority of problems associated with these are the halfshaft retaining nuts coming loose. Once the nuts work loose, the bearings are no longer pre-loaded and self destruct. Eventually this can lead to damage to the hubs if they are run too long with loose nuts. Keep those halfshaft to hub retaining nuts torqued to 240# - 250# guys!

I will NOT do this exchange program for TSB recalled knuckle assemblies. Here are two photos showing the cross-axis joints on the recalled knuckles. They have no flange and no retaining ring:

Your cross axis joints need to look like this with a flange on the front side and a retaining ring on the back side:

If you have DDS L-5 or Pro-Level halfshafts these OEM style hubs will NOT fit your application. (as you may or may not know) I'm sorry that you wasted your hard earned money on those parts but L-5 halfshafts cause far more problems as they are supposed to solve.

These knuckle assemblies can be bought individually or in pairs. New knuckle assemblies list for $616.63 EACH from Ford as of 4-22-10. As a side note the knuckle assemblies that come from Ford have raw steel hubs with no plating. That is why they rust so horribly as you can see in the photo below. With the new Ford hubs now listing for a whopping $295 each, I will only be reusing salvageable hubs at this time. Approximately 60% of the hubs I receive can be salvaged. The used hubs have been sand blasted, shot peened and olive drab zinc plated. ALL of these units have new FORD tapered roller bearings (do NOT use cheap ball bearings from aftermarket suppliers!!!!) and the cross axis joints have been inspected and are all tight and have good seals. The disc brake shield does not come with these knuckles. You will have to remove your old one and reinstall it on the remanufactured knuckle when you receive it. If you need or want shields I have them for sale.

Here is a before and after photo of the knuckle assembly:

All of the knuckle castings have been glass bead blasted and shot peened.

Prices are with your knuckle returned as a core and I will pay freight for core returns.

Here is a typical remanufactured pair of knuckle assemblies with used olive drab zinc plated hubs, new Ford tapered roller bearing and inspected cross axis joints. $250.00 each exchange, (1999 TSB safety recalled knuckles NOT included) plus shipping:

Here is the proper tool to remove the toe link:

A screw driver or a pry bar and a little force pops the halfshaft right out of the diff:

An axle puller will do a nice job removing the hub from the halfshaft:

Or...... if you don't have the axle puller, a gear or pulley puller will allow you to pull the knuckle assembly off of the halfshaft:

Here is a solo shot of the cleaned up knuckle casting:

When replacing these knuckle assemblies, tighten the new knuckle onto your halfshaft with your old nut. Then remove the old nut and install a new retaining nut and put some red Loc-Tite permanent thread locking compound on it. This will help prevent it from coming loose on you.

Some of the boots on the cross axis-joints have been coming back to me as ripped, torn and damaged beyond repair. I've gotten to the point where I have good joints but no boots for them. We've recently developed a replacement boot so don't be surprised if the knuckles you receive from me have these replacement boots on them. Here is a photo of the replacement boot on a good tight joint:

I can do 3" ARP studs for you if you'd like, add $30 per hub for that.

I can also do new Ford plated hubs as well, add $150 per hub for that. If you want 3" ARP studs in a new Ford plated hub, add $180 each for that. Here is a photo of a pair of knuckles with 3" studs and new plated Ford hubs:

UPS ground shipping anywhere is the US is $20 for one and $30 for two. I can save you a trip to the Ford parts counter and sell you a new Ford halfshaft to hub retaining nut as well for $9.00 each.

If anyone is interested in seeing a video of removing the knuckle from an IRS I finally have finally completed it.

Knuckle/halfshaft removal:

knuckle and halfshaft removal

The above video picks up after the brake removal. For brake video see this Cobra IRS rear brake job:

Cobra IRS rear brake job

E-brake cable removal:

E-brake cable removal

Here is the complete IRS knuckle assembly rebuild process:

Knuckle assembly rebuild

Drop me a PM if you're interested in some of these.
Hey man I know this is an older post I'm on the hunt for knuckles I bought an irs missing some parts do you still have and sell these?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right now there is an EXTREMELY limited supply of knuckles. We can no longer get them from Ford anymore. I am no longer doing these as a sideline and you'd have to go to our website Fulltiltboogieracing dot com. Look on the 2003-2004 Cobra suspension page for them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts