Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to have my brake calipers powder-coated. Is there anything special you need to do to remove the calipers? I haven't removed brake calipers before so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
23 Posts
Brakes

No special tools to remove the calipers. The hardest part in prying off the emergency brake cable off the rear caliper. Just compress the spring and it will come off. When you take the calipers off you should remove the pistons and the seals when they powder coat them. Ford recommends to replace the seal with new ones. They are not expensive. The pistons can be removed by blowing compressed air thru the line on the caliper once they are removed. Be sure to place a block of wood or something similiar next to the pistons when you blow air in them. Not too much air is needed. I used a nail gun compressor with a small blower attachment on the end. Keep your fingers out of the way because they can come out with force if you are not careful. The brake fluid will run out so of coarse you will need to bleed the system at the master cylinder (two spots to bleed on the master) and at each caliper. It's not hard and easiest with two people. You will probally need a special tool to rotate the piston back in the rear caliper. NAPA carries the part which attaches to a 3\8 inch socket. It is the same tool used for a number of GM cars. The tool has two small post which fit into the face of the piston so you can turn it back into the cylinder on the caliper. A good manual on the Cobra is a good tool to have. YOu should torque the bolts back in place to specs. The large bolts to hold the rear bracket onto the spindle assembly should be 76lbs. The smaller bolts on back of the rear piston assembly are 25 lbs. The front brakes I can not remember. Good luck. The first time can be a pain but after that it goes really fast.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts