Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a thread with concerns on the horsepower numbers I should have with the KB. This install is only a week away but I have an issue with my decision on the right chip. I have been reading through alot of your threads on what you have done and the numbers you guys get. The SVT performance site users said that this is the guru site for my KB questions and needs. My post states that Ramsey's performance got 585rwhp with their Diablo chip tune on 93 octane with a 24psi system, but that is not close to your numbers with less psi. I don't know if it's the chip, dyno or both. I pm'd Nitros pete on his chip tunes and definitely would like your input. I don't want to bug you with this issue, but I sure am speding a ton of money here and would like the right approach from the start. Your trails and errors can make my life a lot easier. Hammer, you used the Auto logic and kb with your testing? Is it possible that I can purchase an already tuned chip from one of theses companies that is currently the same tune as the one you guys are using and not have to worry about anything with my install. Thanks in advance gentlemen and good luck with your set-ups.....

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
Before we jump to any conclusions, what kind of dyno (ie manufacturer and model) did they use to test your car? Some dyno's are much more conservative than others.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dyno information..

They haven't done mine yet. They did another owners car and those were the results. I can find out what dyno they have and you are right, most think his is on the conservative side. The best numbers he has seen on a bone stock, nothing added, '03 Cobra has been 365 at the rear wheels... So you can see where I tend to question the tunes...

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
Dynojet is the least conservative and dyno's like superflow or a mustang dyno will report much lower numbers. 585 is low for 24psi on a dynojet but prolly is about right on a mustang dyno. There are other factors involved though but befora ya panic at least find that out.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Shadowgray03 said:
585 is low for 24psi on a dynojet but prolly is about right on a mustang dyno.
That is very low for 24 psi and IMO wouldn't be worth it. I dyno'd 550 rwhp SAE corrected on a Superflow which is close usually close to a mustang dyno at 17 psi. Superflow and Mustang dyno's show much lower HP numbers then a dynojet.

The problem with high boost is also unless you are using race gas you have to kick down the timing so much you are not gaining much. I wouldn't go higher then 19 psi on 93 octane pump gas.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Sorry , Just been busy . I can help , just call , shop or cell
nitro
PH # in Sig.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Hey, Maxx.

Sorry for the delay in response. All I can do is share my experience with you.

With 03 Cobras, I've been a 'tune whore'...in that I've had MANY tunes, many chips in my car in my quest for the best but safe configuration. Some people (tuners and hobbyists alike) have balked at my antics...calling me a vendor hopper.

My philosophy is this: If a vendor takes care of me, shows me professional courtesy and lives up to their name in terms of workmanship, I'll stick with them. If they don't...I move on. I didn't spend all of this time and money on car and mods to settle for half-ass results in dealing with vendors...not in this lifetime! I do my part as a customer and expect a vendor to do their part with their professional services. If I move on and it hurts their feelings or pisses them off...that's too f*cking bad. Business is business and I've got a healthy Italian ding-dong that they can fondle. And anyone else that doesn't like it? Please submit your complaint in writing into the suggestion box in the rear of the building next to the trash dumpster.

Having stated that, my advice to you is this: First and foremost, be very careful with tuners!!! A bad tune can injure your engine without any warning and before you can say melted piston. And I've seen some disgraceful, sorry excuses for tunes lately from various vendors.

Secondly, always trust your gut feeling about a shop. There have been several times that I've had that 'little voice' tell me that I should walk away from a vendor. Had I listened to that voice it would have saved me lots of time, money and grief. If your gut instinct is telling you that this vendor is not up to snuff...he probably isn't. Move on!

Thirdly, do your homework! Just like you are doing right now with this thread, get as many opinions as you can. Find cars that are done right...the way you want yours...and follow that lead.

You have two options to you: mail-order tune or on-the-fly dyno tune. Obviously, the dyno tune will always have the advantage...but this assuming that all things are equal - that the tuners are competent and knowlegable (and don't ever assume that).

Here in the North-East, we have a few rock-solid, talented tuners. So dyon tunes are not difficult to obtain. But even we must be careful because there's also plenty of lemons around.

The geography factor means that dyno tunes are not practical for everyone and sometimes you must rely on a mail-order chip. This is where I've seen most of the problems lately.

With Eaton cars, mail-order tunes are not such a stretch. Pulleys, exhaust and throttle body are about the extend of the combo and most cars are very close with respect to output and fuel needs.

But with KB and / or Nitrous cars it's a completely different story. I see some vendors ATTEMPTING to tap the mail-order market for these combo's and distributing TERRIBLE and damaging tunes. And more than not customers run around with them before they get to a dyno and discover that the tune's no good.

For a mail-order tune, I would recommend Kenne Bell's chip. It makes over 600 RWHP on my car with 17 psi of boost and is very safe. Ken Christley and Jim Bell DEFINATELY got the mail-order tune right.

Also, IMO, anyone that tells you that it is safe to drive around with 24 PSI of boost on 93 octane gas is someone that I'd stay away from. It makes no sense to run that much boost, de-tune the car in an attempt to make it safe, and end up with HP numbers that you could have gotten SAFELY with 15 PSI of boost.

Sorry to be long-winded and that's about as specific as I will get in a public thread. If I can help you further, please email me.

Best of luck to you and happy modding!

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Hammer great post and I for one appriciate your work.

G

·
nitrous pete said:
Sorry , Just been busy . I can help , just call , shop or cell
nitro
PH # in Sig.
Hi Pete,

Glad you've been busy, hope your making a good living...could you give me a call please, we need to talk about a couple thing.

·
Registered
485 Posts
2zMax said:
My post states that Ramsey's performance got 585rwhp with their Diablo chip tune on 93 octane with a 24psi system, but that is not close to your numbers with less psi. I don't know if it's the chip, dyno or both. I pm'd Nitros pete on his chip tunes and definitely would like your input. I don't want to bug you with this issue, but I sure am speding a ton of money here and would like the right approach from the start. ..
You can do better than Ramseys. Their dyno reads maybe 4-5 RWHP SAE less than the average DynoJet 248C but thats no excuse for getting 585 RWHP w/ 24 PSI. They did not run 24 PSI on Pump Gas.

Your other comment about 365 RWHP on a Bone Stock COBRA being low - I have found this to be very typical in SAE format. The magazines report 385 RWHP because they are getting factory prepped units. But 365 SAE is normal without even a K/N added.

Tampa is a very bad area for a tuning market as far as tuning for performance tunes. You might have sucess with a KB Chip via Mail order.

Recently, SCT (Super Chips Custom Tuning) opened up on the Northside of Orlando run by Chris Johnson. They have put together a very good group of people and a first class Tuning Package. I could contact them for you to see if one of the key players would tune your car but I think they are not quite ready with their own Dynos and they are also spending alot of time tweaking their software package and generating a more sophisticated Flasher product. PM me if you want to know more.

But you should not limit yourself to Ramseys as they do not deliver on the HP numbers. You should get 600-650 RWHP with 17/19 PSI on the KB on Pump gas in Florida (93 Octane) with the right Tuner.

ROB

1 - 17 of 17 Posts